Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Without the Lord, we are nothing.

But to the Lord, we are everything.

Adagio St. John's Journal

Christmas Day is subdued as the nation tries to come to grips with its current state. But in our home, there is peace as we remember the birth of the Savior and celebrate His life. As far as gifts, we only give things that truly matter.

To Dagio, we give a set of leather scriptures engraved with his name and a couple of illustrated books of Bible stories. Because he has become such a reader, he is absolutely pleased with them. To Adagio, I give some doctrinal books. I give some to Greg as well. From Adagio I receive a new set of braille scriptures and a new journal to replace the one I recently filled. Greg gives Adagio a book of quotes by church leaders and Dagio some puzzles. He tells me my gift will be a little late and he will bring it over tomorrow. He apologizes and I assure him it is okay.

After a wonderful Christmas dinner, we Skype with the family and introduce them to Greg. They are all pleased to meet him and tell him they look forward to seeing him in person one day.

As we visit, I can tell Phillip is impressed with Greg, which is important to me. I can't explain why I feel such a strong need for the family to accept him, nor can I explain why I have begun to need him close. Maybe it is a deep-seated longing for some kind of father figure in my life. I love Adagio's father very much, but with Greg it goes deeper, a fact that is kind of jarring since I only met the man last year. But his presence has made the past year complete somehow.

After we end our call, Greg stays a while longer, putting together a puzzle with Dagio.

When he is finally ready to leave, he kisses my cheek and promises to see me in the morning.

* * *

Greg

When Greg gets home, he immediately kneels by his bed and prays harder than he has ever prayed in his life. He is so afraid of what he must do, but he knows he can't let fear rule him.

How many times in the past had he wished he could go back and change what he did? How many days had he longed to change the destructive choices he made? Because one choice had led to another and the emotional consequences have been great.

When Greg was told by Adagio what Evangeline had dealt with before they met, it had literally caused his heart to ache. She had been treated horribly by the man who raised her as his daughter. And Greg blamed himself. It he had gone to the hospital the night of Evangeline's birth and accepted his responsibility, she would have been spared such treatment. No, he wouldn't have been able to give her all the things her adopted parents did, but he could have given her love. That would've been more important than any material thing he could have given her.

Now Greg has been given the opportunity to ask for his daughter's forgiveness and really know her as his daughter. He only prays that she will find it in her heart to give him a chance–a chance to be her father.

"Bless me with the strength to do this, Father," he pleads. "Please."

You have the strength, my son. And the courage. You will not be alone.

Internalizing the warm answer, Greg goes to bed early, completely exhausted emotionally. He drifts to sleep with a continued prayer in his heart, and on his lips, that Evangeline will forgive him.

* * *

Adagio gets a call from a neighbor who is also a fellow church member and is asked to come and help give a priesthood blessing to their sick daughter. While he is gone, I read Dagio a bedtime story from one of my braille storybooks and get him settled in bed. Deciding to wait for Adagio, I make a mug of chocolate and sit in the large leather chair in the family room. Closing my eyes, I rest my head against the back of the chair and ponder the day.