Chapter 14

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Matthew 24: 7-8

Chapter 14

A man truly is half a man without a helpmeet. God in his infinite wisdom sent me the choicest. For me, speaking the phrase, "My wife," is equivalent to saying, "I am."

Adagio St. John's Journal

Adagio

Like in other places of refuge, the saints in the little city spend their days in spiritual preparation, praying for the people of the country, and for themselves.

Like Adagio's family, everyone has developed a routine to help pass the days. Each family sees to their own personal needs, trying to form some semblance of a normal life, though things are far from normal. The camp shares main meals together, each person taking a turn to do their part in the cleanup and upkeep. On Sundays, they meet in the large common area where they have sacrament meeting and listen to messages by Eban and others invited by him to speak to the congregation. Partaking of the sacrament is an especially holy experience and is what the members need to keep them going week after week.

Before being called to this preparation assignment, Eban had been a bishop, and though he was released, he was called to be a leader over the camp. Just before the official invitation to gather, he was again called and set apart as a bishop. After praying about the two men who should be his counselors, a call was extended to Adagio and Greg. Both men happily accepted. Because Adagio was already serving a great deal of the time, he isn't any busier now, but he is happy his responsibilities are official and does his best to let the spirit guide him in everything.

* * *

Adagio grows more and more in love with his wife with each passing day, and there is nothing that he would not do for her. She tries so hard to do her part and not be a burden–which she could never be–and she never complains when morning sickness keeps her confined to the tent. She bears it with grace and tries to be positive in every word and action. She is being so brave and strong. She doesn't think she's strong, but she is, and she is an example to him and everyone else in their refuge city. Of the seven women in their group carrying a child, she is the oldest, but looking at her, you cannot tell. She doesn't look a day over twenty-five, and on the days that she is well enough to leave the tent, she is always active, trying to be of help in any capacity she can.

* * *

Today is an uncharacteristically warm day for the mountains. Adagio has spent a good part of the morning studying nature with Dagio for school. He always enjoys these one-on-one times with his son and treasures the close relationship they share. Though he knows Dagio and Evangeline are especially close, Adagio is coming to share something just as special with him. Maybe it is because the cares of daily life they once had are no more, the gain of material possessions and pursuits are irrelevant, and all thoughts are now fixed on the important things. In any case, there is joy in each new day, even more so than before, and Adagio is grateful for this time of growth.

After Dagio runs off to see Brad and Alicia, Adagio enters the tent to check on his wife. Evangeline had had an especially bad morning, but after taking in a little soup and drinking some ginger tea, her stomach calmed and she was able to sleep a little. He stretches out next to her, caressing her cheek.

"How are you feeling, dolcezza?"

"Better," she sighs. "Thanks for taking care of Dagio."

"You don't need to thank me, angel. Taking care of you and Dagio is my place."

She gives him a teary smile. "Hopefully I will get past this soon and won't be a –"

"You are not a burden," he breaks in gently. "You will never be. Please do not think that." Leaning in, he kisses her lips and looks into her eyes. "Do not ever think that again. Promise me."

"I promise."

He presses a hand back over her hair, fingering the soft curls. "When is the last time I told you how beautiful you are?"

She snorts, making him laugh.

"You tell me the moment I wake in the mornings, though I have to question your eyesight when my hair is a complete mess and there are permanent circles beneath my eyes these days."

"Your hair is never a mess, just attractively wild, and I do not see circles, I only see your beautiful brown eyes gazing at me. I cannot see anything else." He kisses her, reveling in the feel of her hand on his face, in his hair. Drawing her close to his side, he wraps her in his arms.

"Ti amo, bella," he murmurs against her mouth.

"Ti amo, vita mia." She rests her head against his chest.

Adagio tightens his embrace and sighs. He lay listening to her breathing deepen and she is soon sleeping again. After a few minutes, he drifts to sleep with his lips against her brow.

A short while later, they are awakened by a loud rumbling. They quickly sit up, looking at each other as they realize what is happening.

Dagio rushes into the tent. "Mama," he says, moving into her open arms.

Adagio looks out the tent window. Everyone is gathering their families and moving to their tents.

Wrapping his arms around his wife and son, Adagio's prayers join theirs.

Then his heart immediately calms, and peace stills his soul.