It Never Happened

When (Y/N) didn't feel the kiss, she opened her eyes. Hiro's gaze was focused somewhere else. She looked back. "Is everything okay?"

"Huh?" Hiro said, looking back at her. "Oh, uh, yeah. Everything-everthing is fine," he assured nervously, holding her hand. He glanced at the satchel. "I just, I just have to do something..."

He rowed to the shore, and by the time they reached it, most of the lanterns looked like stars already. They flickered in the sky. Only a few stray ones floated around.

When the boat hit the pebbly ground, Hiro hopped out, grabbing the satchel. "I'm really sorry. Everything is fine though. Don't worry," he rambled. Lost, the only thing, (Y/N) could do is look at him. "There's just something I have to take care of. Stay right here, I'll be right back, promise," he told her.

"Um, okay...?" (Y/N) said, giving him a weak smile. She looked at him as he made his way past a large boulder and into the brush. She convinced herself that everything was going to be fine.

Hiro walked without looking back at (Y/N). Just before he looked around the boulder, he sighed, mustering up his strength. He pushed through the leaves.

"Aah! There you are," he faked, smiling at his old companions.

Fred was fiddling with his shoe, while Wasabi fixed his gun.

"I've been looking everywhere for you."

Fred scoffed lightly.

"Heey, the sideburns are coming in nice," he chirped, pointing to his face. Wasabi wasn't flattered. "You got to be excited about that."

Wasabi stopped working and looked up at Hiro.

Hiro awkwardly smiled back. Then he cleared his throat. Tossing Wasabi the bag, he said, "Well, anyways, here's the crown. It's all yours." He began backing up. "I'm going to miss working with you guys, but I think it's for the best-" Hiro crashed into Fred.

"Holding out on us again, huh Hamada?" Fred taunted.

Hiro looked up at him in confusion. "What?"

Wasabi stood up, clicking his gun. "I heard you found something more valuable... more valuable than a crown." He stepped over the precious item.

Hiro tried to take a step back. Wasabi towered over him.

"We want her, instead," he demanded.

Hiro's eyes widened. "No."

Fred punched him in the back of his head.

By this time, (Y/N) was beginning to worry. She gingerly stepped out of the boat and waited anxiously. Her heartbeat pattered in her chest. She shivered when the mist began to set.

Through it, a shadow appeared behind the boulder. She sighed in relief.

"Whew, I thought you just took the crown and left me. What took you so long?"

The shadow grew larger and it split in two.

(Y/N)'s smile disappeared. Her foot stepped back.

"He did," Wasabi smirked.

"No," (Y/N) denied. "He would never."

Fred gestured to the bay. "See for yourself, little girl."

Disbelief was written all over her gaze until she finally tore her eyes away from them. Squinting, she made out a shadow of Hiro's unruly hair and skinny frame steering the boat out of the bay. The crown's shadow was visible in his hand. It glinted at her.