Travel.

The journey, as pleasant as it was, quickly turned routine. After quite some time observing the countryside, I finally opened the book that mother had given me. Sitting on the edge of the rear of the wagon, I was quite pleased to find out this was a general overview of magical concepts.

As well as a quite technical description of how mana was generated by living things – a description that used a kind of pseudo-scientific language that I couldn't follow – it included description of various fields of magic. These fields were something I had been pretty much expecting, given that this world seemed to reflect a lot of concepts we had back on old earth.

There was elemental magic, so, as you would think: Earth, fire, wind and water. There was also mind, void, sprit and soul magic though, which the book didn't cover, saying to read about those in volume IX, which I didn't have access to. Then there was something called Transposition magic. Again, it didn't cover this in detail, but from the little it did say, I surmised this could include summoning, as well as, possibly, teleportation magic, which was an exciting thought.

To the rear of the book there were a few example spells, mostly on the basic element magics, which I'd seen before. Fireballs and so on. I had already memorised incantation programs for these. There was nothing for mind, void or soul magic, but there was an example of Transposition magic, and, reading this, my eyes went wide.

The spell was called Hollow Space, and was, essentially, a magic bag type spell, enabling the caster to create a hole in the interdimensional matrix, where time didn't pass. Depending upon the power of the initial casting, it could hold anywhere from five to, well, hundreds of items in a kind of stasis, although it did say living things may suffer from degradation if they stayed in there too long.

The spell, the book explained, was actually a low level one, in terms of ease, but in reality it was classed as intermediate, because it took a lot of mana to cast. Once it had been cast though, there was no real mana needed, except a tiny, tiny amount to open and close the entrance. The larger the entrance, and separately, the larger the internal space, the more mana was needed, rising exponentially.

I read the instructions with a growing joy. It should be a simple thing for me! If only I had had this before we left, I could have taken so many more books along. Ah well, we live and learn.

Looking back into the interior of the wagon, I could make out Lissa asleep on the makeshift bed. Rath was up front, driving, or whatever you called it in an oxen drawn wagon.

The incantation for the spell was simple, so, closing my eyes and concentrating, I wrote it out in my mind, using my 'programming' method. The first try should be small, I reasoned. Keep it simple.

I scrabbled back into the wagon, careful not to wake Lissa, until I found a small leather pouch I had picked up from somewhere, simply because I thought it looked like something an adventurer would hang on their belt, to keep coins in. I'd never actually used it, but it was perfect for this.

The spell had two main components to it. The size of the entrance and the capacity. For this one, I decided to make the capacity fairly small, about the size of a backpack. The purse itself was only about the size of a man's fist.

For the entrance, you had to kind of draw a magical line, which would be the size of the opening. Once the spell was done, it wouldn't open any larger than this defined size.

I readied my spell. With one last quick check to make sure Lissa was asleep, she would detect magic use this close if she was awake, I opened the bag and mentally started the incantation program. Holding up my index finger, I concentrated the focus on the tip, and sure enough, it glowed a bright yellow! It was working.