Lissa

Many children, when they are young, have fantastic ideas about what they want to do when they are older. Ask a five year old, and they will say they want to be the Hero that defeats the Devil King, or they want to be the next Archmagi. Of course, nearly all grow up live perfectly normal, productive, lives. Carpenters, farmers, maybe the lucky ones get to be adventurers or even a knight, or a mage.

I never had any doubt. From the first moment I had a cohesive thought, I knew I would be serving the Blessed Mother.

My father, when I eventually proclaimed this at age five, was torn. He was a merchant, with a thriving business, and had wanted me to take over when he was older. However, he was also aware that such a proclamation from one so young probably meant the Blessed Mother had chosen me, and it was never a good idea to go against a goddess, especially one as powerful as the Her, so his dilemma.

That ended though, with the birth of my younger brother. Now my father had someone to pass the business down to, leaving me free to follow the path destined.

We lived in Freehaven, a country run by the High Trio, three men and women who were elected by council vote on a regular basis. The country was not as big as others, but it was stable and wealthy, having a good amount of resources and land to grow food. We were by the sea, and had a strong navy, as well as a well-run, modern army to defend our borders.

I went to a good school, my family was not super rich, but they were decently wealthy, and studied hard. Overall, I was a good student, and fairly popular with my peers.

Alongside that, I took to visiting our local temple, where I was immediately welcomed by the Mother Superior. No doubt she saw the mark of the Blessed on me, and knew I would be joining the order when I was a little older. I took to doing tasks around the temple, and learning how things worked, as well as a few basic prayer-incantations, all of which came very naturally to me.

One day at school, when I was about ten years old, I realised that I was looking at a new girl in our class with feelings I'd not encountered before. Others in my year had already had brief flirtations with boys, but I had never even really noticed them, despite one or two being friendly towards me.

I suddenly realised that I liked this girl in a way that most girls liked boys. And then it struck me that all at the temple were women. Men were not even allowed in most parts of the buildings there. In the more private areas, when I had been cleaning, I'd even seen some of the sisters holding hands.

Thus emboldened, for if the Blessed condoned it, it couldn't be wrong, I, rather shyly, approached this girl, who's name I can't even remember now. She rebuffed me quickly and decisively, and I retreated, red in the face and upset.

However, later on, as I was walking home alone, she appeared next to me. Hustling me into a small side alley where no one could see, she pinned me against the wall and treated me to my first real kiss. I thought my heart would explode! Then she grinned at me, gave my developing chest a quick grope, and ran off.

And that was how my first relationship went. We would meet in private, she was very specific about that, and fumble around, experimenting.

That lasted, maybe, six months, and then her family moved, and she left the school with barely a word. It took me a while to recover.

Recover I did though, I was still young after all. I did eventually have a proper relationship with another girl, Amanda, who was several years older than me, when I was about thirteen, just before I joined the temple. She was the one who taught me the pleasures of the flesh.

When I joined the order, we broke up. Neither of us were that upset, it had been a light and fun relationship, there was never any chance of it becoming something more, and we even remained friends.