Chapter Thirty-One

39 Years Ago in Scottish Court

Laird Mackenzie held his weeping wife as the healer began to wrap their stillborn son in linen.

"Father? Why isn't Avery moving?"

Laird Mackenzie looked at his young daughter only five summers old. Her straight brown hair was twisted into a beautiful crown braid by some of the ladies of the court; her whiskey eyes wide with morbid curiosity.

"Irvette darling Avery isn't moving because God has decided he will live his life out with him" The Laird stroked her cherub face as his wife sobbed into his chest.

Harsh whispers trickled in from the other room; The sound of the Court Chambre door swinging open brought Laird Mackenzie to his feet as a flushed maid scurried in.

"His Majesty King Philippe of Scotland" The maid rushed out the introduction just in time before the man in question bursted into the room.

"If ye are not apart of Laird Mackenzie's family.Leave us"The Kind filled the doorway with his broad shoulders. His bright copper hair lay unruly atop his head and his matching beard lay untrimmed. Whiskey colored eyes bore into Laird Mackenzie till he dropped his gaze and bowed.

"Your Majesty"

Philipp nodded curtly "James, ye have been a trusted Laird in my lands for thirty summers and ye family has resided at my court since ye had your first bairn. I have trusted ye with my life and now I must trust yee with something even more precious"

Laird Mackenzie looked at his King curiously before a shrill cry brought his attention to a bundle squirming in his arm that he had not noticed before.

Lady Mackenzie head snapped up as her tear stricken eyes assessed the situation before her.

Irvette peeked out from behind her father's strong legs to see the King coo at the fresh bairn in his arms.

"I received word of the birth of your son and the sadness surrounding his coming into the word and by God's work himself. My  bastard son was brought into the world all the same."

The King pulled back some cloth to reveal a chubby baby boy with a dusting of copper curls and bright green eyes.

"As ye know my marriage to Queen Adelaide of Belgium is merely a alliance for Scotland's sake and one absent of love. My true love, my true lady fell laden with child nine moons ago and joy filled my heart. Though he is a bastard in the crowns eyes he is my son. I planned to raise him here in the court and claim him as mine but threat from Belgium make that impossible. His birth makes Adeline weak and appear a unfit wife so has declared that if I claim him or raise him in my court she will bring death upon my son." Tears pricked at the King's eyes as he spoke.

"I love my son and I will not have him become a casualty of a political battle. James I ask-no I order you to take my son into your care and claim him as your own. If the time comes if it ever does..In light of Adelaide's death I will marry his mother and have him legitimized in the Vatican's eyes."

Lady Mackenzie's scrambled to her feet and approached the King as his son wailed.

"What is his name?"

"Lachlan"

Lady Mackenzie wiped her tear stricken eyes and smiled weakly as she brushed his cheek. Her daughter Irvette slowly approached to look upon her new brother.

"It would be my honor to raise the next King of Scotland"