Chapter 7: The Truth 🔅 (Maeve)

"Don't be ridiculous, you're exaggerating everything!""I'm not exaggerating, Nerdes

"I'm not exaggerating, Nerdes."

Everyone was very nervous.

The bright moon hung in a crescent shape in the sky tonight. The weather was cool. We were sitting on the wooden camellia in the garden.

"Guys, let's calm down," I said, tucking some of my purple hair behind my ears. "We are strong enough."

Nerdes was looking at me.

"We're scared," I said. "None of us deny that, right?"

"Not exactly, Maeve," Nerdes said. "I'm not a coward."

I didn't tell him he was a coward anyway.

Nerdes doesn't like me. He even hates me. We're not on good terms. Because I was not born in Graqenshel.

Nerdes is a really smart and powerful kid that you can't imagine. If we were to duel each other, he would knock me down in a second, that is beyond doubt. Because Nerdes has muscles. I do not have.

Nerdes is a good-hearted child, I want you to know that. Sometimes he's even kinder than me, and most of the time he's more patient than me. But it's not a smart thing to do right now. Because he is very angry. Very touchy. Very nervous.

Actually, we are all nervous.

Nerdes is the oldest among us. Among the Phoenixes. Therefore, everyone respects him.

Wait a second. I feel uneasy.

I have to confess a fact to you.

It was years ago. The year I came to Graqenshel. The Phoenixes were 7 people.
One of the ravens knocked me to the ground. I drew my sword. Kuzgun was in too much of a hurry. It entered my sword, which I drew as he jumped on me.
I didn't know who he was. I didn't understand what happened.
The blood was covering me. The corpse was piled on top of me and the blood from its chest was flowing onto me.
I feel sick.
I got dizzy.
I was angry.
I love it.

Taura found me. Taura saved me.
Taura asked me to join the Phoenixes. I confirmed too.
At that time, the leader of the Phoenixes was Nerdes.
I still didn't understand what happened.
I still didn't know who the person I killed was.

Taura told me everything. War... Ravens... Phoenixes...
I killed a Raven.
No one has ever achieved this before.
The person I killed was the brother of a Raven named Yalmen.

They put me in charge of the Phoenixes. They gave me the position of Nerdes.

That's why Nerdes doesn't love me.
Because the leader of the Phoenixes isn't even from Graqenshell.
I remember this every time I look at Nerdes.
I'm not from here.
I feel alone.

"You're scared too," I said. "Why are you afraid too..."
Nerdes looked into my eyes. His eyes were wet and glistening in the moonlight.

"Please, Maeve," Nerdes said, exhaling deeply and taking a stronger one. "Let's close the topic."

I bowed my head. "Let's close it."