Taraji

Trigger Warning: Talks of Suicide, Abuse

A/N: I write mostly in dialogue. 

"My name is Felicia Lovejoy I am Speaking on behalf of My Client Fantasia Barrino. This is the only official statement that will be made on behalf of my client and her estate. I will be taking a few questions at the end of my statement. Last night there was a 911 call from my clients residence at approximately 10pm for a medical emergency. My client is currently in critical condition. We are praying for a full recovery for Miss Barrino. Due to my clients current condition Miss Barrino's daughter has been moved into protective custody along with miss Barrino's Mother as she is a minor. In the coming days we ask that you use discretion with speaking, writing or speculating about the cause and condition of my client. My office and I will be very meticulous in weeding out and ultimately legally perusing any libel or mischaracterization against or regarding my client. I have time for 5 questions. Make them count or I will immediately end this conference."

"Can you elaborate on what the medical emergency was?"

"Not at this time. If..." tears started to fall from the lawyers eyes. she was regretful that she couldn't prevent this from happening. fantasia had came to her in regards to Financial abuse she never mentioned the physical abuse. She wished she could've tried harder but she knows the torment and self blame that can come and overwhelmed in these domestic situations she has been there her self.  "When Miss Barrino wakes she will decide if that is information she would like to speak on."

"Can you confirm that her husband Kenneth Taylor was arrested last night in connection with the "medical emergency"?"

"Mr. Taylor was arrested on a separate matter. Next question."

"His intake from the arresting officer made claims of Domestic Abuse can you shed light on these claims."

"I am only here in regards to Miss Barrino and will not be speaking on the arrest of Mr Taylor. Any further Questions?"

The crowd was somber. "For those who would like there will be a prayer vigil tonight at 6pm this evening. My office and I are inviting you to pray with us for the healing of Miss Barrino. I'm sure her family would appreciate your support. Thank you."

8 hrs prior——

Taraji was staring at her phone it had been about 30minutes she had tried over and over to reach back out to Fantasia. On the unknown number but it went to voicemail so she tried to call her saved number. After the third time calling her husband answered.

"What the fuck do you want Bitch?"

"Why are you answering Fantasia's phone?"

"Cause I'm her fucking husband. Stop fucking calling this phone!" He hung up.

"FUCK!" She yelled something is way off. So she called the other person that knew how to get in touch with Fantasia.

"Hey Raji." Darikus answered

"D. When's the last time you talked to Tasia?"

"Last week I sent her a video on how to do her hair for the awards. She replied thanks and I haven't heard from her since. Now that I think about it, it was probably Ken and not her. Whats up I thought y'all were done?"

"Something was off at the awards and then she called from an unknown number pouring her heart out and then she hung up now I cant reach her. What's going on Darikus? And why is Ken texting you instead of her?"

"Taraji you should really talk to Her. I wish I could tell you but Ken made me sign an NDA. and since he fired me I don't even have money to fight the NDA but don't give up on her Raji she loves you and needs you" He hung up. And she immediately heard her phone ring again. She looked at the number calling she hesitated

"This is Taraji."

"Miss Henson, This is Dr. Bailey from Memorial hospital. You are listed as an emergency contact for Miss Fantasia Barrino." Her whole world just crashed down.

"What...I...Oh my God" she couldn't speak her world was spinning to fast. She needed to breathe. 'Breathe Raji, Breathe'

"Miss Henson I need you to listen to me. Miss Barrino's Lawyer is sending you a car. The car will bring you to the hospital and we will have security for you while you are here they will escort you to our VIP wing. It is imperative that you hurry. Do you understand? Can you do that for me?"

"Yes...Is she?"

"She is alive and in critical condition that is all I am able to say over the phone. Take a deep breath gather yourself and I will meet you personally at the door. Okay?"

"Yes.. yes ma'am."

She didn't bother showering or changing from her sweats she threw on a sweatshirt and waited by the door. As soon as she heard the car pull up she ran outside and got in the car. She realized as she buckled up she wasn't alone.

"Miss Henson, I am Attorney Lovejoy I am representing Miss Barrino. I'm sorry that we have to meet like this." She handed her tissue

"Thank you. Can you tell me what is happening?"

"I will try to explain everything that I can. This is going to be hard to hear. I know who you are..were to Miss Barrino. Fantasia came to me last month for legal support. I specialize in cases of domestic abuse whether it be financially, emotionally or physically."

"Im going to kill Ken he did this? Im going to jail today! Fuckkkkkk!!!" Her blood was boiling. "What did he do to her? I want every detail so I can do it to him 10 fold!"

"Miss..."

"Taraji please"

"Taraji, Please hear me and let me explain before we do anything rash. Okay?" Taraji nodded "good we have about 20 minutes before we get to the hospital. Do you have a penny?"

"What? The fuc... why do you need a penny from me?" She was trying to stay calm but no one is telling her whats going on with Fantasia.

"The statement you just made is incriminating. I'm offering my legal services so everything said in this car remains inadmissible but in order for that to happen I need payment. Do you understand what I'm saying?" Taraji watched the lawyers gaze move to the drink holder where there was a lone penny. She picked it up and handed it to her. The lawyer accepted it and placed it back in the holder.

"Yes. Maam." 

"Good. Now what i'm about to say is going to hurt. But I need you to be strong. Fantasia always said how strong you were and how you made her feel strong. I understand that you and her are no longer together but you are listed as her medical power of Attorney so when we get to the hospital you are going to be asked a lot of questions about her care. Nod if you understand." Taraji nodded Felicia took her hand. "Fantasia attempted to end her life." Taraji's Breath caught in her throat "Breathe Taraji. She is still alive and in critical condition." Tears began to fall from her eyes as she took in what the lawyer was saying. "For the last 9 and half years Ken has been abusing Fantasia. Until I received her Suicide note and video and pictured proof I was unaware of the physical abuse. When I reached out to the police with the evidence they informed me of the attempted Suicide and I rushed to the hospital and had Ken arrested. I was informed that She had taken pills while in the bath. Fortunately for her the bath was cold and may have saved her body from overheating and possibly saved her life."

They arrived at the hospital the driver creeped by the press standing at the front door and proceeded to a private entrance. As Taraji reached for the door she was stopped.

"I know you and her are no longer together, but you are her MPOA. I need to know if you are willing to act in this role. If not I am Legally obligated to step in and take over that role as her lawyer."

"Fantasia and I will never not be an us. EVER. I will be whatever she needs me to be I owe it to her. All of this was going on and I didn't hear her out. The last words she remembers from me is me basically saying I didn't love her anymore. When that was so far from the truth and now she's...I will be whatever she needs me to be. Where is Keziah? I need to..."

"She is safe. I have child care specialist for these type of traumatic situations. Fantasia's mother will be here first thing in the morning. Just a heads up she also knows about y'all. Are you Ready?"

"No but I need to see her."