Chapter 5

Summary: During the History of Magic lesson, the first-year students ask questions about the Chamber of Secrets. The golden trio has some questions for Carina.

History of Magic is undoubtedly one of the most boring subjects (if not the most boring subject) in the curriculum so far. Our teacher is the ghost Prof Binns, who speaks in a low, monotonous voice that ends up making most of us sleepy and bored. We share this lesson with all the first-year students from all the Houses.

I'm distracted in class by the students around me. Stella, sitting next to me, is trying to make a paper plane and put a spell on it to throw at Emma, who seems to be in a deep sleep between Megan and Ginny. Zoe seems to be caricaturing the professor on a piece of paper. Amber and Lydia whisper excitedly to each other about something. Luna seems to be lost in her own thoughts. Hardly anyone is paying attention in this class, at least so far.

I see Aster raise her hand and wait for the teacher to notice her so she can ask whatever she wants to ask.

"Yes, miss..." the teacher says when he sees Aster's hand raised.

"Diggory, sir. I think all of us here are curious to know a little more about the Chamber of Secrets." by saying this, Aster manages to get everyone to finally pay attention.

Even Emma, who had been asleep until seconds ago, wakes up not only to the paper plane landing on her head, but also to the commotion generated in the room by Aster's question. I hear Ginny slip out of her chair.

"My subject is History of Magic," replies the teacher in his usual tone of voice. "I deal with facts, Miss Diggory, not myths and legends." he turns back to the board and goes back to writing about whatever content he was explaining. "In September of that year, a sub-committee of Sardinian sorcerers..."

Aster raises her hand again.

"Miss Diggory?"

"Please, sir, don't legends always have a basis in fact?" says Aster.

The teacher's attention is all on her.

"Well," he says slowly. "yes, one could argue that, I suppose." he looks like he's never paid so much attention to a student before. "However, the legend of which you speak is such a very sensational, even ludicrous tale..."

The professor looks each of us in the face, seeing that we are all more interested in this subject than any content he can teach us.

"Oh, very well. Let me see... the Chamber of Secrets..."

He seems to think about what to say.

"You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago – the precise date is uncertain – by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. The four school houses are named after them: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution."

He pauses and looks at us again before continuing.

"For a few years, the founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. But then disagreements sprang up between them. A rift began to grow between Slytherin and the others. Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy. After awhile, there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school."

Stella and I look at each other when he mentions Slytherin. He pauses again.

"Reliable historical sources tell us this much, but these honest facts have been obscured by the fanciful legend of the Chamber of Secrets. The story goes that Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, of which the other founders knew nothing. Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all who were unworthy to study magic."

The silence in the room at the moment is one of apprehension on the part of the students about the story Prof Binns has just told.

"The whole thing is arrant nonsense, of course. Naturally, the school has been searched for evidence of such a chamber, many times, by the most learned witches and wizards. It does not exist. A tale told to frighten the gullible."

Another hand is raised, this time Zoe's. "Sir... what exactly do you mean by the 'horror within' the Chamber?"

"That is believed to be some sort of monster, which the heir of Slytherin alone can control,"

We all exchange nervous glances.

"I tell you, the thing does not exist. There is no Chamber and no monster."

"But, sir," says Stella. "if the Chamber can only be opened by Slytherin's true heir, no one else would be able to find it, would they?"

"Nonsense, Lestrange," the teacher says in an irritated tone. "If a long succession of Hogwarts headmasters and headmistresses haven't found the thing..."

"But, Professor," it's my turn to speak. "you'd probably have to use Dark Magic to open it..."

"Just because a wizard doesn't use Dark Magic, doesn't mean he can't, Miss Malfoy," Professor Binns retorts. "I repeat, if the likes of Dumbledore..."

"But maybe you've got to be related to Slytherin, so Dumbledore couldn't..." says Stella.

"That will do," he interrupts her. "It is a myth! It does not exist! There is not a shred of evidence that Slytherin ever built so much as a secret broom cupboard! I regret telling you such a foolish story! We will return, if you please, to history, to solid, believable, verifiable fact!"

I'm walking back to the Gryffindor common room, towards my dorm, when I'm approached by the golden trio. Hermione calls my name and I turn round.

"Yes?" I ask curiously.

"We want to talk to you, Carina." says Hermione.

"We need to talk to you." Harry emphasises.

"All right..." I say a little suspiciously. I follow the three of them to one of the sofas in the common room.

When the four of us are sitting down, Ron is the one who decides to speak. "Are you and Malfoy heirs of Slytherin?" he's very direct.

"Ron!" Hermione scolds him.

"What? That's what we wanted to know anyway."

I chuckle. The three of them look at me waiting for an answer.

"Well, I'm pretty sure we're not..." I say. "My father would certainly brag about it if his family were Slytherin heirs. And honestly, can you see my brother being behind all this?"

They exchange glances.

"You overestimate my brother." I say. "He can be an arsehole from time to time, but not to this extent."

"Even if it isn't Malfoy... Would your brother know who could be behind all this?" Harry asks.

I sigh before answering. "Maybe, I don't know. If he's been exchanging letters with our father, it's possible. But he hasn't told me anything, even though we only spoke again a few days ago... I think it would be something he would tell me if he knew about it."

The three of them seem to be thinking.

"That's all right. Thanks anyway, Carina." Harry says with a smile.

With that, I get up and go up to my dorm. It looks like these three are still up to something.