Chapter 4

It was a little after sunset and people were heading back to their houses from work. Princess Lindsay kept walking through lanes, looking for suitable houses to rent. "Madam, I think, that house would be appropriate for you, would you like me to go and ask the owner?"-her companion asked pointing to a huge manor with front lawn which had perfectly trimmed grass and a running water fountain in the shape of an angel. It looked like a rich family's house to Lindsay, so she didn't want to go in there because it would be the starting of the same story over again, she would get all the comforts and she wouldn't be able to accomplish her goals. After giving it a thought she declined his offer-"No Mr. Paulson, I want to consider smaller houses for my stay." Mr. Paul nodded and they entered a small neighbourhood where small houses were clustered against each other. Some shared common roofs, some shared common balcony and you could even go to your neighbour's house through a panel in your own house! "This is village life. Simple but, happy."-the young Princess smiled to herself. 

"Let us go and check that house."-Lindsay said, eying a small cream coloured house with walls entangled with creepers. Mr. Paul knocked on the house's door as a lady who looked as if she was in her early-forties opened the door with a  smug smile but, her eyes widened as soon as she saw the Princess and then, she bowed graciously as Mr. Paulson and Lindsay returned the gesture. "How can I help you Princess? Would you like to come in? Mary! Go get two cups of ginger tea for our guests and make it fast!"-the lady ordered her eldest daughter excitedly and whispered to her younger daughter standing nearby "Go clean the house and put all your toys back on the shelves. Go!"-the lady invited them inside.

Lindsay looked around the house as she walked. It was small for sure, it was nothing compared to her palace but, it had a warm, welcoming and a happy feeling which her palace lacked. She sat comfortably on a chair in front of the fireplace as she took in the  scent of warm ginger coming from the kitchen. "Here, would like some cookies or bread?"-the lady's eldest daughter, Mary, asked politely as she handed her a cup of ginger tea. "No, thank you, I'm good."-Lindsay replied. She sat there sipping on her ginger tea in front of the fireplace, lost in her own thoughts till the time the lady, Mrs.Will, came and they continued their conversation. "So, I wanted to talk about renting this place."-Lindsay said in a low tone, unsure of how she would react. Mrs.Will almost choked on her tea when she heard this. She wanted help the Princess but, she didn't think her house was good enough for a girl born into Royalty. She knew the Princess would feel suffocated in her house and she will look down upon it because it lacked luxuries.

Mrs.Will put on a 'sorry' face and said "Princess, look, I'm honored that you asked me for help. But, I don't think our home would be suitable. We are not really ready for it. I apologize, forgive me but,you will have to look for a shelter elsewhere"- Lindsay's face fell as she heard these words from Mrs.Will's mouth but, she quickly covered it up with a fake smile as she said "It's no problem and thank you for your humble treatment." "It was a pleasure."-Mrs.Will smiled. Lindsay waved "bye" to Mrs.Will as she and Mr.Paulson headed towards the exit. "Princess, trust me, I'll ensure you get a comfortable shelter."-Mr.Paulson assured. "I trust you."-she nodded.

They went to six other doorsteps but, each one one of them declined their offer and Lindsay begin to get disheartened. Most of them reasoned that they were not ready to have a Princess living with them. Which made her wonder "Is that my fault that I'm a Princess? I'm a normal human being, just like them, yet they didn't let me rent a room."-she sat on the edge of a boundary wall along the street, separating it from the forest, and sobbed in her hands. Mr.Paulson noticed her plight and rubbed her back and her took her hand and said-"Don't feel disheartened Princess, I'll do something for you."He looked into her tearful, blue eyes with pity as she blamed herself "No Mr.Paulson, you have helped me all along. I'm so stupid for thinking that I would be able to establish my own world. I'm sorry." "Don't be sorry, here take my coat, it's getting cold and wait for me here, I'll fix us some evening snacks, eh?"-he smiled. She nodded as he left to find food.

She sat there all alone, looking at the dark,starless sky, wondering if she will ever find a home. "Are you lost?"-an unusually deep voice said from her left side. She craned her neck towards the source of the voice and saw a tall man holding up a burning wooden stick to lighten up the surroundings so, he could find his way through the dark. The light from the fire brought life to his features in the darkness of the starless night. He was wearing a fedora hat and had a firm jawline. Chocolatey brown curls made their way to his forehead while slipping through the rim of his hat. His green eyes glowed and looked full of life as his lips formed a confused expression. He wore an orange shirt with a few buttons undone at the top and carried a bag full of grains. "I'm not lost, I'm looking for a house to rent, I need shelter."-Lindsay said in a soft voice. "Oh, aren't you Princess Lindsay Wilton?"- the man jumped back in surprise as he took a closer look of her face. "Yes I am. Why do you look so startled as if you have seen a ghost?"-she laughed. "I apologize for not recognizing you."-he bowed to her.

"Okay, so do you know where I could get a shelter? I need it for  long time, till I earn my own money."-Lindsay continued. "Your own money?"-the man asked curiously as he wondered why she would want to earn her own money while she can live a life of luxury without even bothering to lift a finger. "Yes, I want a life of my own. I want to be an author. I want to be something I want to be, not something I was born to be."-she said in a determined tone. "Big words, huh? But, I must say, you're different. So, you're going to pay for living in someone's house?"-the man said as he raised his right eyebrow. "Of course!There's nothing for free in this world!"-she exclaimed.

The man was desperately in need of money and he was considering this as an opportunity not only for money but, because the Princess was interesting, he could learn new things if he lives with her. "My house isn't that bad you know, I was looking for someone to rent it, I need money."-he said honestly. Lindsay smiled but, then she remembered living with a total stranger could be dangerous and he had to gain her trust first. "But, I barely know you."-she said. "I'm Harry, Harry Styles. I have my own farm and a few animals. I live in a cottage all alone and you can even rent half of it, I won't mind. I barely have any guests over."-Harry introduced himself. He seemed like a pretty decent guy to Lindsay so she thought that she would agree to live with him but, then she remembered that she needed Mr.Paulson's consent too. "I'm waiting for someone to return, if he approves of you then I can live with you because my father has kept him in-charge of this."-she said. Harry nodded.

"There he is."-Lindsay said as she spotted Mr.Paulson coming towards them holding up two packages. "I'm going to be living with him."-she said as Mr.Paulson looked at Harry from head-to-toe. "Do you know him? You can't live with random villagers, it could be dangerous."-he spoke in a harsh tone as if Harry wasn't there.  Harry felt offended but, he didn't react and kept calm. "He isn't dangerous, I'm staying with him, he is respectful and he's harmless."-Lindsay defended Harry. "But, I'm still the one who makes decisions, Princess."-Mr.Paulson smirked. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My twitter- ria17sep

This story is gonna take time.

Thanks for reading. :)