Chapter 28

Harry rolled out of bed with a yawn and stretched before walking over to Hedwig's cage. "Good morning girl." He scratched her head as he refilled her food bowl.

Once he was finished taking care of his pet, he went downstairs to the kitchen where he could hear voices. For a moment, he stood in the doorway just watching. His parents were in the middle of cooking breakfast. Lily was patiently stirring some scrambled eggs, while James furiously kneaded some kind of dough. He was covered from head to toe in flour and eggshells. Harry could see his mum reprimanding him, but he wasn't really listening. He was too busy taking it all in. Never in his short life had he ever dreamed this day would come.

"Hey champ, something wrong?"

He was drawn from his daze as both his parents noticed him standing in the doorway. "Nothing." He went over and gave them both a hug, "Nothing's wrong."

Lily smiled and gently petted his hair, "Happy birthday Harry."

He froze, "What?"

"Happy birthday." James repeated with a smile.

"I..." he was in shock. He hadn't even realized today was his birthday. The last few weeks had seemed to fly by. "You remember?"

"Of course, we remembered." Lily said sadly. She had long sense gotten used to Harry being surprised by many normal occurrences. Such as remembering your son's birthday. It was all those damned Dursley's fault.

"How could we forget." James chuckled, trying to make light of the situation. "I don't think I'll ever get the sound of your mum's screams out of my head."

Lily rolled her eyes, "As if you were much better. You and Sirius feinted about two minutes in! Remus and... Peter... were the only ones actually awake for anything."

Harry smiled as his parents continued to argue. He couldn't have wished for a better start to his birthday. "Where are Remus and Sirius?"

Lily and James stopped, giving each other a quick glance. "They... had to run in to town." Lily began. "They said they will be back later tonight."

"Oh ok."

"In the meantime," James smiled. "After breakfast, we have a surprise for you."

"Really?" Harry couldn't believe it.

"We sure do!" Lily gave him a kiss on the cheek as she began setting the table. She had gone all out. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, food as far as the eye could see. "I may have gone a bit overboard... but I wanted to make a special breakfast for your special day!"

"Thanks mum..." he buried his head in her shirt so they couldn't see the tears dripping from his eyes.

"So, about that surprise." James began as they were about halfway through. "How would you like to go get your school supplies today?"

Harry shrugged, "That's fine. I can head out after breakfast."

"That's not what he means." Lily smiled, "How would you like us all to go get your school supplies?"

His eyes widened, "You mean, like together?" they nodded, "That... that'd be brilliant! But... won't people see you?"

James reached into his pocket and pulled out two vials. "Professor Dumbledore gave us these. They're Polyjuice potions. Arthur and Molly Weasley volunteered to let us masquerade as them for the afternoon. They said that they had helped you buy supplies before, so it wouldn't look odd us being together."

"That's wonderful!" harry quickly began shoveling food into his mouth.

Lily chuckled, "Slow down, the last thing we need is you choking. Besides... your father and I had one more thing we wanted to discuss with you." He looked up at her. "We were thinking... after your birthday, going public with our return."

"But only if you're ready." James said quickly. "We figured that would give you about a month before school started to let things settle down a bit. In that time, we could find a house somewhere out in the country. Does that sound ok to you?"

"That sounds wonderful..." He said before tackling them both in a hug.

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading!)