Chapter 11

THE SPECTATORS LOOKED like they adhered to a dressing code, as they majorly took to only two colours of jersey and majorly divided the stadium according to their dressing code. Fascinated like every other person in the stadium, he watched his team play against the other, the light from the television screen brightly shining through the sitting room. Right in front of him, on the table, was his phone, an album of a tile collection, a pack of fruit juice, a half filled glass, and an empty one. On the couch, by the hand rest, laid a partly eaten carton of family sized pizza. 

Engrossed in the game, he paid no attention to his phone, which buzzed continuously with notifications on the table. Iyke emerged from the room half-dressed, hanging the top of the striped pyjamas he was wearing on his shoulder. He held his phone by his right hand, in an angle that allowed the phone's camera to cover his face down to the abs.

“I can't lie to you nah, my love,” Iyke confessed passionately, with his deep baritone. 

“You know I trust you. It's Clint I . . . ,” Clint gave out a loud shout as a player missed a kick. 

“What's that noise?” The caller asked.

“It's Clint. His team is playing tonight,” he turned the camera to the direction of Clint and the television.

“Hey, Clint, Anna. It's Anna.” Iyke handed the phone over to Clint and took a slice of the pizza from the box. He shoved it into his mouth, cutting a large chunk of it. His mouth swelled from the content.

“Xup, babe, what's good?” Clint asked Anna in an elated mood. 

“Awesome. My goodness, it's all fun here,” she replied happily.

“I can see that,” he said.

“What's going on over there?” 

“The town is as good as you left it, except for some entities,” he replied

Iyke unsuccessfully tried to snatch the phone from Clint, “Oga, gimme ma phone. I know say you wan talk rubbish now.” 

“I knew it. What have you guys been up to?” 

“You knew what?” Iyke queried her from behind Clint, laughing. 

“You need not worry. I be responsible gent. I got your back. He won't do anything silly when I'm around,” Clint assured Anna.

“No be only. Nwoke m, give me ma phone?” Iyke said, his mouth filled with pizza.

“Whatever you guys are up to, it better not be nasty,” Anna said, “because, I'm going to get really . . .” 

“Aar....h!” His team missed a goal.

They cracked up with laughter. Iyke took the phone from Clint and sat beside him. “Pass me the pizza,” Iyke asked. He took one slice and passed the rest across to Iyke.

The match ended with an equalizing score and an unhappy Clint. He picked his phone, the next handy object of attention. He had messages including a WhatsApp message from Tina. As usual he had sent her evening greetings which normally started their usual evening chitchat. On lucky days, they would have a topic to discuss, like most of the days, but if not, they exchanged greetings and went their separate ways. 

He clicked on her message.

Tina: Normal day at work, nothing more

         Yours?

Clint: Good 

          Didn't get to do much work today

         And it's weekend