Praying (König)

Tomorrow was probably the most important day of your life til now. After a few months of being part of the KorTac BootCamp, you had the opportunity to be part of a mission. Not only that, you were going to be with Colonel König, which has been your tutor since day 1.

2130, after eating a nice dinner in the mess hall with your teammates, you went back to your quarters. They weren't anything special, nor the fancier room you had been living but, it had the necessary; a bed, a table, a few chairs, a window and a big cupboard to your belongings or clothes.

What anybody, or at least, anybody you knew, had knowledge of, is that every night, you used to pray before going to bed. You weren't the most religious person alive, nor really believed in a God in particular. But you grew up in a family that forced you to believe in God, made you pray every day before every meal, before going to bed, going to church once a week...that also included clothing, friends, food, relationships...

Which made you almost as pure as a nun if it wasn't for the obvious fact that you trained to go in war and kill the bad guys, that's what you told your mother at least. She called you once a week, asking the same awkward and disturbing questions. "Do you have a partner?" You always said no. "Have you prayed and wore your cross?" You always said yes. "Remember sweetie, once you are back, we'll get you a wealthy husband which you can make happy with children and good food." You always said thanks.

Once a week, you were reminded of this, how your future was just being a housewife. No job, no friends. Like if your whole purpose since you were born was making someone else happy.

Did you even want kids?

All this thoughts and questions roamed your mind before going to bed. As you knelt down in front of your nightstand table, where a cross was, praying to God to give you wealth, health, love and peace.

"Are you really praying?"

"Yes..." you responded not thinking too much about it.

"This is a military base, we don't believe in faith."

You opened your eyes, You weren't speaking with God. It wasn't God. You looked back and saw Colonel König standing on your doorframe, his left shoulder leaning on it as he crossed his left foot over his right foot.

You stood up, hiding the cross and doing a small reverence. "Sorry, sir...it wasn't my intention to leave the door open." You tried to explain.

"It was closed. You were speaking to someone, I thought, and it made me wonder who was in the quarters of a soldier at this time." Colonel König said calmly.

"But I don't know if I'm more surprised or worried about this new knowledge that I just discovered." He scuffed, standing straight up as he put his keys on the table in your quarters.

You put the cross on the nightstand table and cleared your throat. "It helps me to feel less stressed and gives me a small space to think of things out of the military."

He laughed. Was he laughing at you or at the situation? His laugh made your face warm up a little, you weren't used to being seen in such a vulnerable and intimate moment for you.

"So what...are you like...an undercover nun who tells God all the filthy and unholy things you have witnessed here?" Colonel König joked, he started laughing at his own joke. You didn't laugh.

"Uhm...No...I...pray to be good and...healthy..."

"I'm just joking..." He cut you off, walking closer and patting your shoulder, "...I'm sure you don't talk about anything nasty." The way he emphasized that last word made you almost shiver, was he teasing you?