To be a Hunter

Jake flickered for a moment. He looked wet. My heart was pounding trying to escape my chest. My feet nailed to the floor. My head screaming at me to run. Jakes face then contoured into a horrifying smile that radiated revenge. My feet finally found themselves free and I ran to my room. I pushed over my mattress grabbing my nine. It was white and had gold engraving along the handle and barrel. My father gave it to me when I was five but told me to always hide it. Jake appeared suddenly in front of me.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

He slowly raised his arm and pointed at me. All the courage in my body vanished and my grip on the gun loosened.

"Me?..."

It was more of a breath than words. Before I knew it Jake'a hand was around my throat. It felt icy and burned. I started screaming and trying to grip at his hand. Black dots started to cloud my vision. My bedroom door busted open and hun shot rang through. I felt the grip on my throat release and I dropped to the floor. I felt arms pick me up.

"Y/n?! Come on wake up I can feel you breathing.. wake up.. come on.."

I knew it was Dean's voice and my head turned to see him looking at me. His face full of worry.

"I'm- fine.."

My voice was raspy and it hurt. Jake appeared behind Dean. I pick up my gun that fell to the ground as I was being lifted from it. My vision started to blur. I raised my arm and cocked the gun at Jake. Jake's icy blue eyes looked to me full of hurt. A tear slipped from eye and tan down my cheek.

"I'm sorry Jake.."

I fired the gun. There was a bright light and Jake disappeared. The gun felt heavy with the weight of what I had done and it dropped to the ground. The ring was still in my ears. The light still burning a hole into my brain of the memory. My vision became blurred again and only then did I realize that I wasn't passing out. I was crying. I felt Dean pull me up and carry me out to his car. I don't remember the drive to the motel on the outskirts of town. I do remember what I learned that night. When we got to the motel Dean opened the door to a motel room that had two twin beds and a small room for another bed. A boy with long brown hair was watching the TV.

"Hey Sammy I'm back. Sorry I took longer than I thought."

"It's okay- um who's the girl?"

"Y/n.. I've got to tell her the truth after what she just went through"

The boys,probably brothers, seemed close. I took a seat with Dean on the left twin bed.

"What do you mean the truth?"

"What you saw was a ghost.. and it's not the only monster out there.. everything is. Vampires, werewolves, skin walkers. All of it. My dad, the guy you saw with me at that bar, and I, and one day my brother, are all hunters. We hunt these monsters so that they don't hurt normal people like you."

"So.. if that was a ghost.. does that mean Jake is dead?.."

He nodded not saying anything else.

"Not to sound stupid but how did my gun kill a ghost? I figure it would be like witchy stuff that kills them."

"I was kinda wondering that actually. Mind if I look at it?"

I nod and give Dean my gun. He traced the engravings then pulled out a brown dairy. Nice to know we both write in diaries.

"Hm.. these are angel engravings. Keep this fun hidden well okay?"

I nodded and put it back. My dad had never said anything about hunters or monsters but my parents did go out on trips a lot. I wonder if they are hunters. It would explain a lot. I touched my pendant necklace, missing my parents.

"What is that?"

"Oh I've had this since I was little. My mom said it would protect me"

Dean looked at it and smiled. Then he pulled down the collar of his shirt to show the same symbol on his chest. It was hard not to blush seeing that he was obviously pretty built just from the part of him I saw.

"What's the symbol mean?"

I tried to distract myself from my teenage thoughts.

"It's protection symbol. You parents are probably hunters. Now I'm not that worried about you."

"You where worried about me?"

"I uh.."

I smirked and punched him playfully on the arm. He relaxed and laughed. After a bit more of questions and figuring out the ways of the dark world I had no clue of, Dean took me back home.