4- Severing Ties

Summoning her courage, Tara took a deep breath, steeling herself before firmly knocking on her mother's front door. After a brief moment, Christina, disheveled and clearly hungover, answered, her voice laced with annoyance.

"What do you want?" Christina snapped, her eyes squinting suspiciously at her daughter. Tara stood her ground, her tone resolute.

"We need to talk. Can I come in?"

Christina peered at Tara with a mix of suspicion and indifference before shrugging nonchalantly, leaving the door open. Tara stepped inside, following her mother into the living room.

The living room was a scene of chaos, with empty bottles and scattered takeout containers littering the coffee table. Christina slumped onto the couch, her hand already reaching for a half-drunk beer.

"So? Talk," Christina said, her words tinged with a dismissive air.

Tara remained standing, her hands clenched and unclenched with nervous energy. She took a deep breath, mustering her resolve.

"Mom, I... I can't do this anymore. Your drinking, the constant put-downs, dragging me back into your dysfunction over and over..."

Christina scoffed, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh, here we go. Little Miss Perfect has it all figured out, huh?"

Undeterred, Tara pressed on, her voice filled with determination.

"I've enabled your behavior for too long because I felt guilty, or obligated, or... I don't know. But it's not healthy, for either of us."

Christina leveled a hard look at Tara, taking another swig of her beer.

"So you're cutting me off? That's rich, coming from my own daughter," Christina retorted, her tone laced with bitterness.

Tara's voice rang out, unwavering and resolute.

"You're damn right I am! And I should've done it years ago!"

Christina rose from the couch in a sudden burst of anger, her voice escalating into a yell.

"Well, who needs you?! You'll just end up bitter and alone anyway, like dear old Mom!"

Tara's own voice rose to meet her mother's, fueled by a mix of frustration and desperation.

"Is that what you want for me? To make the same mistakes you did?!"

The weight of Tara's words seemed to strike Christina, the truth of it hitting her like a slap in the face. She stared at her daughter, her fists clenching as she struggled against the painful truth that had been laid bare.

-

Tara pushed through the front door, her eyes red and brimming with tears that she had been holding back. To her surprise, she halted abruptly, taking in the sight of Amber sitting on the bed, surrounded by pamphlets and books on mental health.

Amber looked up, about to say something, but before she could utter a word, Tara swiftly crossed the room. Without any hesitation, she settled onto the bed, straddling Amber's lap. Tara gently cupped Amber's face in her hands, cutting off any words with a passionate and intense kiss.

When they finally broke apart, both women were left breathless, their hearts racing.

Amber, her voice filled with a dazed wonder, asked, "Wow... what was that for?"

Tara shook her head, her emotions churning too deeply for coherent words. Instead, she wrapped her arms tightly around Amber, burying her head in the crook of her neck.

"I love you so much," Tara said, her voice rough with emotion. "I don't say it enough."

Tara took a deep breath, fighting back tears as she locked eyes with Amber, her gaze unwavering and determined.

"You didn't sign up for this mess, for my damage," Tara admitted, her voice filled with raw vulnerability. "But I'm done letting it consume me. I'm going to be better—for myself, for us."

Tara's heart swells with love and gratitude as Amber meets her gaze, fully understanding the depth of her commitment. Amber leans in, pressing her lips against Tara's in a tender, lingering kiss. Their hands find each other, fingers intertwining, as they hold onto each other tightly.

When they finally break apart, Amber's touch is gentle as she brushes away the tear that had escaped down Tara's cheek. Her voice is filled with warmth and reassurance.

"I love you too," Amber says softly. "However long it takes, we'll get through this together, okay?"

Tara nods, her eyes shimmering with a mix of relief and determination. She takes a deep breath, feeling a renewed sense of strength and hope in Amber's unwavering support.

"Okay," Tara replies, her voice steady. "Together, we can face anything."

The room crackled with an electric energy as Tara's lips met Amber's once again. The intensity of their kiss ignited a fire within them, fueled by a potent mix of desire, love, and the profound understanding of their connection. Tara's hands moved with purpose, exploring every inch of Amber's body, pulling her closer as their passion intensified.

With a shared understanding and a mutual desire for intimacy, Tara's hands moved with purpose, working Amber's shirt up over her head, revealing her soft skin beneath. Amber raised her arms, assisting in removing the garment, their eyes locked in a fiery gaze.

Simultaneously, Amber reciprocated the gesture, her hands skillfully navigating the fabric of Tara's clothes, helping her shed the layers that kept them apart. The room filled with a mix of anticipation and vulnerability, as each article of clothing was discarded, exposing their bodies to the warmth of the room and the intensity of their connection.

With their bodies now bared to one another, the air crackled with electricity. They marveled at the sight of each other, appreciating every curve, every freckle, every imperfection that made them uniquely beautiful in each other's eyes.

Fueled by desire and a deep emotional connection, Tara and Amber fell back onto the bed, their fingertips tracing paths of longing along each other's skin.

The room was filled with whispers of pleasure, soft moans, and the rustling of sheets as they finally became intimate again, how could Tara have let this go?

-

Tara's heart raced as she stared at the blank screen of her phone, her fingers trembling slightly. She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself before typing the message to Sam. It was an important conversation she needed to have, one that required courage and vulnerability.

"Hey Sam, it's me. I need to talk to you about something important..." Tara typed, her words reflecting the weight of her emotions and the gravity of the situation.