7- Unearthing the Past

Tara's tension was palpable as she sat on the couch, her hands wringing together in a nervous gesture. Dr. Kate Wilson, a compassionate and understanding presence, observed her from the comfort of an armchair, offering a safe space for Tara to share her struggles.

Dr. Wilson expressed her appreciation for Tara's decision to give therapy another chance, acknowledging the courage it took to seek help. With a gentle tone, "Well, Tara, I'm glad you've decided to give therapy another try. Why don't you start by telling me what's brought you in today?"

Tara's shaky exhale betrayed her internal turmoil as she gathered her thoughts. The weight of her intimacy issues, commitment problems, and the deep-rooted trauma from her childhood cast a shadow over her present life. It was a burden she carried silently, until now.

Summoning her courage, Tara began to share her truth with Dr. Wilson. Her words wavered, filled with vulnerability, as she acknowledged the impact of her troubled upbringing on her emotional well-being.

"I, um... I've been struggling. With intimacy issues, commitment problems, a lot of deep-rooted trauma from my childhood that I've never fully dealt with," Tara confessed, her voice carrying the weight of her experiences.

Dr. Wilson nodded empathetically, her kind gaze unwavering. "I see. Well, unravelling our past is often the key to healing, as difficult as it can be. Perhaps we could start there?"

Tara's worry manifested in her lip-biting, a visible sign of her inner turmoil. Dr. Wilson, respecting the need for space, patiently waited, allowing the silence to settle between them. She created an atmosphere of safety and acceptance, providing Tara with the opportunity to share at her own pace.

After a pause that seemed to stretch, Tara finally found the strength to continue. Her voice, quiet and filled with vulnerability, broke the silence, revealing the weight of her words.

"My parents... They were never what you'd call... stable," Tara revealed, the understatement carrying the weight of unspoken pain and uncertainty.

Dr. Wilson maintained her calm presence, acknowledging the significance of Tara's disclosure. She understood that exploring the impact of her parents' instability was a crucial step in understanding the roots of Tara's struggles.

-

 (FLASHBACK)

A young Tara, only nine years old, sat at the kitchen table, attempting to focus on her homework. Her small frame huddled over the desk, she tried to drown out the escalating shouts emanating from the next room.

The distant voices of her parents, Christina and Hank, reached her ears, their words filled with anger and frustration. The tension in the house was palpable, and Tara's heart ached as she bore witness to their heated argument.

"...Completely useless drunk! Is this what you want our daughter seeing every day?!" Christina yelled from the kitchen.

"Don't you lecture me about parenting, you cold-hearted bitch!" Hank yelled louder.

The sound of something shattering reverberated through the air, causing Tara to flinch. Tears welled up in her eyes as she felt the weight of the chaotic environment surrounding her. Seeking refuge, she pressed her hands tightly over her ears, attempting to block out the harsh reality unfolding before her.

As she squeezed her eyes shut, Tara sought solace within herself, hoping to shield herself from the turmoil unfolding around her. It was a coping mechanism born out of necessity, a way to protect herself from the overwhelming emotions and the dissonance that threatened to consume her.