18

In the quiet stillness of her apartment, Amber sat alone, her thoughts wandering between the pages of a book she only half-heartedly read. The night draped over her like a heavy blanket, casting shadows that danced along the walls. It was in this serene solitude that a soft knock echoed, disrupting the tranquility she had grown accustomed to.

Curiosity mingled with apprehension as Amber rose from the couch, her heart quickening with each step toward the door. Who could it be at this late hour? With cautious steps, she approached, her hand hesitating before grasping the doorknob.

Peering through the peephole, her breath caught in her throat as she beheld the figure on the other side. Tara, bundled in an oversized hoodie, stood before her, a silent plea in her eyes that spoke volumes.

Without a second thought, Amber flung the door open, her emotions bubbling over like a rushing river breaking through its banks. "Tara..."

The single word hung in the air between them, heavy with the weight of unspoken emotions. Tara's response was a simple yet heartfelt "Hi," her voice thick with emotion.

In an instant, they were enveloped in each other's arms, the embrace a lifeline in the darkness that threatened to consume them. They stood there, two souls reunited after a prolonged absence, finding solace in the warmth of each other's presence.

As they held each other, Amber felt a surge of emotions welling up inside her, threatening to spill over. "You came," she whispered, her voice raw with emotion.

Tara nodded, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "I couldn't stay away any longer. I needed...I needed you."

Amber silenced her with a gentle gesture, her touch a reassurance that transcended words. "Shhh, it's okay. You're here now. That's all that matters."

They stood there, their embrace a silent vow to never let go again. And in that moment, Amber knew that they would weather any storm together, their love a beacon of hope in the darkness.

As they stepped inside, closing the door behind them, Amber knew that this was not just a reunion, but a new beginning. For in each other's arms, they had found their sanctuary, a place where their love could flourish amidst the chaos of the world.

And as they settled into the warmth of the apartment, the night outside seemed a little less daunting, their shared love illuminating the darkness like a beacon in the night.

why in the world is this chapter so fucking short...