Lover's Auction - Part One

It was the night of the auction your dad had spent all year planning, it was to raise money for his company's charity in honour of his late wife and your mother. He often hosts big auction nights to celebrate the woman you both loved and lost and this year it's the 20th anniversary which coincides with your 27th birthday. All your life you've only known him to be a manager of some big company in London, it's meant you've led a very comfortable life but never completely understood his job role. You did know that he was very well connected and treats his staff like family - from the moment you were born you were adored by all his colleagues, you made them all aunties and uncles. He would often bring you into work with him as a little girl and enjoyed watching you crawl around his office, dreaming of the day he would hand his empire over to you. After your mum's death he bought you in everyday for months, he needed somewhere to take his mind off things and knew you loved being fussed over by your extended family. They would sit with you to do homework and talk about the friendship drama at school while your dad worked - he was never short of babysitters!

Your dad is the only man you have ever loved, he knew you would come out years before you actually did. He held you when the tears didn't stop after your first break up, he attends Pride with you every year and always texts that he loves you at the end of every day. Since your mum passed away he had become your best friend and no other woman has entered his life except for you. Whenever he was invited to work parties or social events you were always his plus one and would parade you around the dance floor standing on his feet as he tapped along to the music. In his eyes, you were a princess and nobody would ever be good enough for you.. or so he thought.

Your dad had been running around all week putting the final touches into place, trying to rally up promo and extra giveaways to make this year's auction extra special that he hadn't noticed how down you had been lately. The anniversary was a lot to bare for you - hating the world that your mum wasn't here to spend your adult days with, often wondering if she would have been your best friend and sad that you've missed out on growing up with her. Dad was rushing around the house like a tornado when he stopped in his tracks at the sight of you on the sofa under a blanket. "Honey, why aren't you dressed?" his tone soft and gentle as he ushered over to join you. "I don't feel like it dad" you tried to brush off the emotion held in your throat as you stood up to correct his tie. You didn't know that he knew exactly how tie them himself but your simple act reminds him of the mornings he would kiss your mum goodbye after she corrected it for him. Straightening it down his chest you tiptoed to kiss his cheek "you can buy anything you want?" he said with a cheeky smile as he waved his credit card in the air which was enough to get your attention. Holding out your hand to shake a deal with him you rushed upstairs to your bedroom to see a new dress hanging on your wardrobe, smiling at how dad had got the perfect colour to match your skin tone. Over the years he has had to be your dad and mum; learning how to plait your hair to teaching you why periods happen and buying your first bra, he was practically one of the girls by now. You slipped on your heels and delicately curled your hair but before leaving you snuck into dad's room, fumbling around on your hands and knees trying to reach under the bed until you felt a velvet box. Blowing the dust off, your fingers traced your mother's name etched into the woodwork, clicking the latch open the black and white photo of your family hidden inside made you choke up as you chose her favourite necklace to pair with your outfit. You heard dad calling as you straightened your dress in the mirror then made your way down the stairs like you were on your way to prom. Your dad was still rushing around the house to get ready when he suddenly came to a halt at your entrance. "Darling" his voice whimpered as he spotted the pearls around your neck, holding out his arms for one of his famous bear hugs.

Entering the formal occasion you were quickly swamped by your dad's colleagues, greeting them as Aunty This and Uncle That they gawped at how grown up you looked. Pawing over the "when did you get so big" and pulling at your cheeks like they haven't seen you in years when you only saw them last week. You instantly felt the glow of love they shared and was so glad you'd came as they showered you both in affection. When the group dispersed you immediately turned to dad with a puppy dog look in your eyes and your hand spread waiting for him to offer up his credit card, pecking him on the cheek when he did and making a beeline for the bar. "My darling (y/n)" the bar lady called as you approached, "hi Aunt Sally" - yet another one of your make believe family. "I'm going to need some ID my dear" the dark skinned woman joked with you. "Aunty, you know I'm nearly 30!" batting your eyelashes at her. "My dear, don't be wishing your life away, you're miles off that number yet" her thick Jamaican accent rolled off her tongue like honey. Sipping on your cocktail she asked if you'd had a chance to view what's on offer yet, you said the bar was your first pit stop as she started listing off some things that she had spotted earlier. Glancing around the room at all the people from your bar stall your attention was caught when you heard her say "vaginal rejuvenation" making you scoff just as you took a big gulp of your drink, trying not to choke the liquid dribbled out of your mouth and back into the glass in the most unladylike manner. Trying to hold your giggles inside she passed you another drink when and said you don't think your dad would appreciate that purchase on his card!