III

As if sitting in the gardens alone wasn't uncanny enough, hearing the voice of someone didn't help ease her nerves.

That familiar voice, yet she couldn't put her finger on who's familiar voice. She just knows she's heard it. And recently too.

"Who's there?"

"Tch."

"Take a wild guess, darlin', who else would roam these streets at this time a' night. Well, howdy there, princess," Boothill drawled, tipping his hat with a grin. "Hope I ain't disturbin' ya moon-gazin'."

"Not at all, sir," she started, with a glint of hesitation. "But, no offence, what are you doing here?"

"Im not one for all that yip yap infatuation type balderdash, yeh? But seein' ya left me with a lotta unanswered questions."

"I— thank you...?" she replied, gesturing for him to join her. "I was just... relishing in the night air. Care to join me?"

Boothill sauntered over, taking a seat beside her with a lazy grin. "Don't mind if I do," he said, leaning back in his chair and stretching out his legs. "Ain't nothin' better than a quiet night under the stars."

As they sat there, she found herself drawn to his easygoing manner and rugged charm. There was something about him that felt familiar, like a warm embrace on a cold winter's night.

"...so I caught you before sunset... does this mean I win?" She hadn't forgotten their previous rendezvous of wordplay, obviously.

"Where'd ya store all that sass, eh? How about you let me hold on to that jewel just for a lil' bit longer, whatcha say?"

"Tch."

Boothill feigned a look of mock offense, placing a hand over his heart in mock indignation. "Now, darlin', you wound me with your mistrust," he protested, his drawl thick with amusement. "But I suppose I can't blame you for keepin' a tight hold on that pretty little trinket of yours."

She tutted, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Hey, I'm a Princess. I'm not stupid," she quipped, her tone light and teasing. "Besides, I'm not particularly the most royal of royals, haven't you noticed?"

Boothill chuckled, leaning back in his chair with a grin. "Well, ain't that the truth," he agreed, his gaze warm as he looked at her. "But I gotta say, darlin', you're one smart Princess I ain't never met before."

As the night wore on, she and him found themselves lost in conversation, sharing stories and trading banter beneath the twinkling stars.

Who knew an outlaw could be so... nice? And carefree...

She prompted, her curiosity piqued. "How did an outlaw like yourself end up wandering the city?"

Boothill grinned, leaning back in his chair as he considered her question. "Well, princess, it's a long story," he began, his drawl smooth and easy. "But let's just say I've always had a knack for gettin' myself into trouble, and the open road seemed like the best place to outrun my past."

"And what about you, princess?" He asked, turning the conversation back to her "What's a royal like yourself doin' out here talking to a gunslinger?"

She chuckled, a hint of mischief in her eyes. "Oh, you know, just trying to escape the confines of palace life and find a little adventure of my own," she replied, her tone light and playful."I'm a bit sick of this lifestyle."