6. Mabel's Milk Farm

The journey to Pastella was quiet as every time Raife started to open her mouth to strike up a conversation, Echo shot her an annoyed look. Shale actually found the quietness creepy and usual. By the time they arrived at their destination, the sun was starting to set . Echo peeked out the front of the wagon to direct Shale to the pub. The hyena parked outside and tied up the horses as they others disembarked.

"First stop," Echo said as she looked up at the sky, her and her brother removing their goggles and letting them hang around their neck. "Sun's setting, so the pub should be open." She led the three inside and over to the bar. The inside looked like a typical pub as a cyan mare wearing a punk outfit stood behind the counter. She had medium-length black-and-purple hair. She didn't seem all too happy to see the bats. "That's Thorn. The pub belongs to her."

"I assume Shriek wants her payment?" Thorn asked

Echo nodded. "You assume correctly. So, where is it?"

"Well, sucks for Shriek, because my business has tanked the past few days. Ever since the milk stopped coming. If you want your payment, get my milk. I'll even pay extra this time."

Echo crossed her arms. "You're hiring us?"

"More money for mummy," Raife sang quietly.

The bat eyed her and groaned. "Fine. How do we do that?"

"Every morning, Anna visits the town to buy supplies for the dairy farm a few miles east of here. She used to bring us milk, too. Find her in the morning and have her bring you to the farm. Then, find out what's going on."

Echo sighed. "Whatever."

**********

The group found the local inn and paid for two rooms. Raife insisted on one but Echo was not having it. In the morning, they headed back outside and looked around for Anna. "Anyone know what she looks like?" Raife asked.

"Probably a cow," Shale said, before she pointed. "There."

Over by a local shop, they saw a young cow girl with a horse-drawn wagon of her own. The group ran over to grab her before she drove off. She saw them approaching her and gave a confused look.

"Heya!" Raife greeted with a frantic wave. They stopped a couple feet away as Raife stepped forward. "Are you Anna? From the farm?"

"Yes?" The cow replied, confused. She was a teenage cow, possibly older, with medium-length black hair and wearing a sleeveless white shirt and shorts. She was carrying a crate of empty glass bottles.

 She was carrying a crate of empty glass bottles