Chapter 7

Summary: Christmas arrives. Carina receives presents, one of them from someone she wasn't expecting. She spends the day in the Hufflepuff common room, and at the end of the day finds Hermione in an unusual situation.

Ever since everyone saw that Harry is an Parselmouth, many people think he's the heir of Slytherin. Even my roommates have been talking about it, well, everyone except Ginny, for some reason.

Christmas morning arrives. I wake up feeling the winter chill. Only Ginny and I are in the dorm, as the other girls have gone home for Christmas. I get out of bed and see that Ginny still seems to be asleep. I get dressed and head down to the common room.

As I go downstairs, I see Harry, Ron and Hermione already sitting by the fire. Strangely they stop talking when they see me coming. I approach them and sit down on the floor near the fireplace.

"Merry Christmas," I say.

"Merry Christmas, Carina." Hermione is the first to speak.

"Merry Christmas." Harry and Ron say at the same time.

We are silent for a few seconds, an awkward silence given that I had just interrupted whatever they were talking about before I arrived. The only noise was the fire.

"Oh, I think you've got presents too." says Hermione before getting up and walking towards a small pile of presents that I've just noticed.

She reaches for one of the presents and I thank her. I eagerly open the package before reading the letter that came with it. It's a beautiful necklace with a delicate ruby pendant. I feel something furry brush against my legs, I jump in fright before realising it's Lyra, my cat. 

"She's lovely." Hermione says with a gentle smile, referring to Lyra. "It seems that she and Crookshanks got on very well."

Then I see Hermione's cat approaching. I reach out to stroke it, and it seems to accept the caress. I take the letter that came with the necklace, open it and read it. 

𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒂,

𝑰 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒆𝒄𝒌𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝑫𝒊𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏 𝑨𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝑮𝒓𝒚𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒐𝒓. 𝑨 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒂𝒄𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒏𝒐 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏. 𝑲𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈.

𝑰 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒕. 𝑴𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒚 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔! 𝑰 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖.

𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆, 𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒂.

Mum's letter makes me feel tears forming in my eyes, I blink quickly to try to get rid of them. I get up to open the other presents I've received. A box full of sweets made by Mum, I open it and offer some to Harry, Ron and Hermione. I open a letter from Draco.

Mᴇʀʀʏ Cʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs, Cᴀʀɪɴᴀ.

I'ᴍ sᴀᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴡᴏɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇ sᴘᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ Cʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴ ʀᴏᴏᴍ ᴀs I ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇᴅ, ʙᴜᴛ I ʜᴏᴘᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ sᴘᴇɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ, ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ. - Dʀᴀᴄᴏ