Chapter 3

The first phase of the exam had commenced.

Mei paced herself for the middle of the pack, aiming to maintain a low profile.

A subtle tug on her pant pocket had Mei's hand shooting out to wrap around the offender's wrist.

"Oh Mei, don't get me riled up," Hisoka purred, flexing his claw-like nails in her grasp.

Giving no reaction to the red-headed magician, Mei flung his hand away.

"Don't," She stated.

"Meiiii, I'm just trying to help you," Hisoka chuckled.

Mei offered a disinterested hum, "I don't need your help, Hisoka."

"I'm hurt! What would your brother say?" Hisoka teased.

"That I should rip your spine out for touching me," Mei stated in a flat tone.

Groaning, Hisoka's aura began to permeate the atmosphere, "I love it when you speak violence to me, Mei."

Ignoring the magician, Mei increased her speed.

"Do keep in touch!" Hisoka chuckled behind her.

Once the magician was out of sight, Mei fished inside her pocket.

'Why would he give me this?' She pondered, examining the device.

With a frown tugging at her lips, Mei sighed, 'I guess it couldn't hurt to have a contact in the exam.'

Looking up, Mei noticed they were approaching a light at the end of the tunnel.

There was just one thing though...

'Stairs! Why do there have to be so many stairs?' Mei groaned internally.

Increasing her speed, Mei aimed to be done with the towering steps sooner rather than later.

When she finally exited the staircase, Mei paused to look around.

'Was that really phase one?' She wondered.

A young man heaved for air as he hunched beside Mei.

"That's it? This is gonna be... a piece... of... cake!" The man exclaimed between breaths.

Cringing in disgust, Mei shuffled away from the loud man.

'A piece of cake, huh?' She sarcastically thought.

Continuing her strides, Mei eventually found herself face to face with Gittarackur yet again.

The clinking man showed no opposition to her presence, but she was not going to let her guard down.

"You are Hisoka's friend, right?" Mei questioned.

Though there were no physical changes to the man's expression, his Nen clearly displayed his dislike of the question.

With no answer, he gave her his back and walked away.

'Ok then...' Mei thought, letting out a sigh.

Soon, she found herself torn from her thoughts as startled gasps rang out.

Looking up, Mei found all eyes led to none other than the red-haired magician.

Resisting an eye roll, Mei wondered 'Must he always cause a scene?'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How are you guys liking the story so far? :)

I am not associated with & do not own Hunter x Hunter or any of it's characters/plots etc. My character is Mei.