prologue

Elodie Wood was the textbook definition of a perfect Hufflepuff; irritatingly optimistic and notably kind. Friendly and sociable, she had few enemies and a large group of acquaintances she at least considered friends. Although not outstandingly popular, she was well known in Hogwarts as their resident solutionist. Seeing her run to and from common rooms with assortments of supplies for every situation wasn't uncommon and life ran relatively smoother when she was around. The Marauders, while not having had a number of memorable interactions with her, all shared more or less the same impression of her.

The first time James Potter really noticed Elodie was in their Second Year Transfiguration class. McGonagall had forced him next to her and away from his usual seat with Sirius Black where they accounted for three-quarters of the room's noise. The rambunctious twelve-year-old boy was investing every effort into bothering his pretty new seatmate.

"Psst, Wood," He whispered, "D'you have an extra quill?" It was well into the lesson and he expected her to huff like Lily Evans always did when he bothered her, instead, Elodie's eyes crinkled around the edges as she dug around in her bag for one. She presented it to him happily, her wonky canine tooth exposed as she smiled. Not expecting her positive reaction, James could only mutter a "Thanks," before turning back to his notes and trying to hide his blush.

Peter Pettigrew's first memory of Elodie was earlier than James', taking place in February of their First Year. Peter, dangerously clumsy, had knocked over several pots of soil during his exit from Herbology, spilling dirt all over both himself and the floor.

"Oh dear," Elodie had laughed, crouching beside him, "Isn't this a mess?" Although Peter had been close to tears, he couldn't help but chuckle along with her. When she made it clear she intended to stay with him and clean the mess up he protested furiously.

"But you'd miss lunch! You can't miss the best time of the school day!" Elodie just shrugged, twisting her hair up into a loose ponytail.

"With two of us working it shouldn't take long, and we can probably still catch the second half!" Peter had looked up at her then, unused to her enthusiasm for helping strangers, but gladly accepted her help, barely missing the roommates he was so desperate to fit in with.

Sirius Black's first conversation happened sometime in May of their second year, although unrelated to James'. He'd established his troublemaker reputation early and it was a usual sight to see him running down marble corridors, dodging revenge hexes and barely making the tight turns down narrow hallways. One quick turn sent him sprawling off onto the floor, groaning as he made contact with the hard cement floor. Looking around for what sent him flying, Sirius approached the girl who was in a similar predicament, rubbing her forehead where they had collided.

"Sorry, love, shoulda watched where I was going. Hope I didn't mess up that pretty face too bad." He hid his nerves behind too much bravado, preparing for the screaming that usually happened when he disappointed his mother or the Gryffindor girls. It never came. Instead, he watched as Elodie's expression morphed from confusion to relief as she came to terms with what had happened. Her baby blue eyes sparkled as she grinned.

"Oh, it's no problem! I was pretty oblivious to what was going on, I should have heard you coming. I hope I didn't hurt you, did I? I think I have a bandage if I did, though," The Scottish girl rambled, smoothing out her hair.

"I'm fine, doll, don't worry. If I was injured, would you kiss me better?" Elodie had heard about his flirtatious tendencies from girls in her year but still smiled softly.

"You're terrible."

"You'll love me," A cocky grin graced his features before he disappeared, no doubt chasing after his beloved Potter.

Remus Lupin was the last of his friends to have a notable run-in with Elodie, not quite halfway through Third Year. The full moon had taken its toll on him and the endless staircases littered around Hogwarts were rapidly becoming his own personal hell. Without his friends to help him to the common room at the end of the day, Remus was left as the only student still wandering the halls. The telltale sound of footsteps echoed around the corridor and Remus leant against the bannister, trying to play it cool. It didn't work.

"Hey, are you alright?" Elodie called from a few metres away, finding his casual position suspicious.

"Y-yeah, of course," He stuttered, not expecting her to actually notice him.

"Remus Lupin, right? We have Divination together?" She asked, coming closer to him. He nodded. "Which way are you headed?" Remus pointed up to the Gryffindor common room.

"Oh, me too! I need to talk to Professor McGonagall about my latest essay," Elodie dramatized a grimace, "I'll walk with you." Although he was embarrassed about his condition, Remus couldn't blatantly decline her invitation, and so set off with her, trying his hardest to work through the pain. Elodie saw through it almost immediately.

"What's wrong, are you hurt?" Concern etched across her face, biting down on a rosy lip.

"I'm fine," He tried to brush it off, "Just got a dodgy knee." Elodie, apparently a natural at subverting expectations, lodged herself under his arm, taking off as much weight as she could. It was considerably effective given Elodie was an inch or two taller, Remus still waiting for his growth spurt. Over the walk, Remus noticed her sock-clad feet and cringed, knowing it was partly his fault.

"You don't have shoes on," He remarked, feeling as if he couldn't just ignore it. Elodie giggled; an unexpected reaction.

"Most of my stuff disappeared this morning."

"You're not upset?"

"Not much I can do about it now," She shrugged, an air of unimportance evident in her voice, "Might as well make the best of it."

"Thanks, really," Remus said when they finally got to the Gryffindor common room.

"It's no worries," She smiled, "Anyone would do the same. Now, rest up." Remus didn't bother to argue back, knowing from experience no one bats an eye at a little limping boy, let alone struggles to help him up several staircases for no personal gain. He decided then he wouldn't prank her again. She was sweet and he would grow to regret not chasing their friendship sooner.

⋆ ˚。 ⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。 ⋆

a/n: started writing this maybe 3 years ago and figured I might as well publish it? we'll see how it goes haha