Chapter 14 - Friends Never Say Good-Bye

Tulio and (Y/N) gazed out over the city of El Dorado as the sun began to rise. Their expressions did not hold excitement or glee for their approaching time of departure, but rather they held sorrow. They'd finally be returning to Spain...without Miguel.

Tulio held (Y/N) close, hoping it would be enough to stop the tears beginning to form in her (E/C) eyes. But, as they turned to go back inside, they passed by Miguel, who said nothing to them as they did. He merely stared off into the distance.

The dark-haired man ignored him, glaring as he continued on his way. However, (Y/N) paused, looking over at her friend in an almost pleading manner. But, with no reaction given to her sorrow-filled gaze, she just sighed and followed Tulio over to their remaining things.

🎵My Man Elton: "There isn't much I haven't shared, with you along the road."

Tulio angrily began to pack up whatever he had left to take aboard the boat, and he ordered (Y/N) to get her things together as well. He grabbed the map and was about to stuff it inside his bag but paused once he saw it.

🎵My Man Elton: "And through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode."

He unfurled it, reminiscing on all the places him and his friends had seen and experienced on this crazy journey. And, as (Y/N) slid over to his side and stared at it from over his shoulder, he wondered if maybe things could be different.

But, as Miguel entered the temple, his anger returned. Without a second thought, he ripped up the map, much to (Y/N)'s shock and dismay.

🎵My Man Elton: "Suddenly that isn't true. There's another avenue."

He let the torn pieces slip from his grasp but, before they could touch the ground, (Y/N) grabbed onto them, holding them close as if it was all she had left. The two men glared at one another, neither wanting to express their true feelings and neither wanting to give up on what they believed they wanted.

🎵My Man Elton: "Beckoning, the great divide. Ask no questions, take no side."

Tulio walked away, but not without hitting Miguel with his bag on his way out. (Y/N) could only watch as the two went their separate ways, holding on to the pieces of the map with silent plea and hope.

When Tulio paused and looked behind him, over to their blond friend, (Y/N) had hope that maybe he'd talk to him. Have them work this out. But Miguel just grabbed a headpiece and a cape, readying himself for the public.

🎵My Man Elton: "Who's to say, who's right or wrong. Whose course is braver run. All I know is all we had is over."

Miguel didn't bother to gaze back at them, merely choosing to glare through the mirror. But his resolve faltered as Tulio helped (Y/N) to her feet, new tears filling her eyes. And he held her close to his side as they walked out the temple.

Once outside, (Y/N) allowed her tears to fall as she looked down at what remained of their good memories, that was now torn and gripped tightly in her hands.

🎵My Man Elton: "Said and done."

She stuffed the map pieces into her bag, unable to look at them any longer. It was then that Miguel joined them but looked away as the other two tried to meet his gaze.

He felt guilty about ignoring them, especially when none of this was really their fault. But as he opened his mouth to say something, it was too late. Tulio grabbed hold of (Y/N)'s hand, similar to how an older brother would lead around his younger sister, and they descended the temple steps.