Chapter 3 - Trouble in Paradise?

"Trouble in Paradise?"

"Not paradise, that's for sure." 

"Thank you for taking the time to be here, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend the lunch

"Thank you for taking the time to be here, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend the lunch." Ayumi faked her smile as she shook hands with the temp agency members she already didn't like.
"Oh please, no worries. We hope to be a prime asset to your company." The short, pudgy gentleman gripped her hand tightly with his clammy one, internally making Ayumi cringe.

"We'll have a discussion later this week after reviewing our needs and HR will be in contact next week." Ayumi all but ripped her grasp from the older man's. While it was slightly rude, she didn't have the energy to care as she was still slightly hungover from this weekend's shenanigans and hasn't eaten a full meal yet.

The team bid their farewells as Nanami ushered them out of the building. Once they were in their car, he turned to Ayumi.

"That was awful." He gestured for her to go back into the building first as Toji opened the door for them.

"Did he mention anything worth your time?" Ayumi tried her best to refrain from talking to the agency, but luck was not on her side. She unfortunately ran into them when she was in the cafeteria, grabbing her 4th cup of coffee for the day and got stuck with walking them out.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing." Ayumi sighed and sipped her coffee as the three headed towards the elevator. Nanami and Ayumi entered the elevator, though she stopped in the doorway when she noticed Toji wasn't coming.

"Go on, I'll be back. I'll be running a quick errand." With a nod, Ayumi left the door close, enveloping her and Nanami in silence as he pressed the button for the 8th floor, where her office was located.

"How is the first day going?"

"Honestly, not much different than when I was plant manager. I feel like it's the same thing, just... on a larger scale." Ayumi glanced at her Accounting Manager, and friend since high school. "Thank you for asking." He slightly bowed in response. "Is there anything that you or your team needs?"

"A ban on that agency coming back would be nice." Ayumi chuckled and nodded.

"I can make sure HR ensures that they don't come back."

----------------------

The rest of the afternoon passed by at a snail's pace in Ayumi's eyes. Between the projects team presenting what they need approval of and the haunting thought of the luncheon at the end of the week that Ren slapped on her schedule, she was ready to go home.

However, her desk full of contracts and projects to continue reviewing was refraining her from just that.

The clock on her computer read "19:00" and she could have cried as she held her head up with her palms. Ren had just left for the night, and the rest of the building had been gone for 2 hours at least.

Or, most of the building.
"Miss Ieiri?" Ayumi raised her head and blinked at Toji standing in the doorway of her office with a bag of McDonalds.

"Toji." She sighed and leaned back in her chair, a small smile creeping on her lips at the sight of food.

"I'm assuming you're still hungover." She chuckled as he pulled out the chair across from her.

"After two years of working for me I don't know why I'm still surprised you know me so well." Did he know the girls went through 3 wine bottles Saturday night on top of going out Friday night?

"I hope you don't mind." He said as he helped her move the papers and folders into a massive pile.

"Not at all. Did you get something for yourself too?"

"Of course." He said as he started pulling items out of the paper bag.

It wasn't abnormal for this to happen between the two. Ayumi had grown accustomed to working late nights, especially after the former CEO hired bodyguards. She felt much safer staying later in a building by herself since she... well wasn't by herself anymore.

"You haven't been here this late in a while." He spoke as she dug into her nuggets.

"I'm afraid this is going to be the new norm." She sighed. She still wasn't hungry from the stress, but she knew she needed to eat. As much as this isn't a healthy meal, it would suffice.

"As long as you're still paying me overtime, I don't mind." Ayumi chuckled.

"How's your family?"

"Umm." Toji mumbled as he quickly chewed his mouthful of fries. "It's just Megumi and I now, actually."

Ayumi's clammy palms didn't go unnoticed by her as she grabbed her water. 

Why was she nervous around him all of a sudden?

"Shit, I'm sorry." Her mind raced with questions as she took a sip. The tinder profile made sense now.

"No, him and I are better off without her."

"What happened? Actually, no you don't need to answer my questions about your personal life."
"She left us for drugs." His eyes bored into hers, just like they did in the car.

"Shouldn't you be with him?"

"He's in daycare and has a sitter."

"Toji." Ayumi sighed and put her food down. "You should spend time with him, especially at this age."

"He's okay, I promise. Don't stress over something that you can't control." She sat back in her chair, not breaking eye contact.

"That's my life." Another sigh escaped her lips. "Stressing over things that I can't control or don't know if I can control." The two continued to eat in silence. When done, Toji cleaned up and wiped down her desk.

"You should be done for the night. There's an early meeting tomorrow, right?" Ayumi glanced at the pile of papers on the other chair in the corner. "They aren't going anywhere."

"Fine." With a huff, she packed her work bag as Toji did one last round of the floor, ensuring everything was where it needed to be and no one was in here before they locked up and left.

"So, how is Megumi then? Is he doing well in daycare?"

"I haven't heard any complaints." She nodded and was about to ask another question as Toji drove, until her personal phone dinged. With a brow raised, she looked to the lock screen with wide eyes.

Suguru Geto: Can we talk?

Ayumi shook her head and threw her phone in her bag, ignoring the text for now.

"Trouble in paradise?" Out of habit, she bit her bottom lip. Something Toji noticed she only did when she was frustrated.

"Not paradise, that's for sure." She sighed and watched the buildings go by as they drove.

"You never mention anything about your personal life, but always ask others about theirs."

"You're awfully talkative tonight." She didn't mean for the comment to sound mean. "I'm sorry, that came off the wrong way." She cleared her throat.

"Don't be, you're stressed." He stated as they pulled up to her building. "Is there anything that I can do?" Once the car was parked, Toji turned in his seat to face her. This unprofessional side of him didn't come out often, though she was grateful when it did.

"No, I'll be fine. Have a good night." She got out before he could think about getting the door for her.