Chapter 12: I need to go back

⚠️⚠️MAJOR TW: SH, Mention of mental hospitals, e@t1ng d1s0rd€r

Nicks pov:

It's been 1 week since...the incident...and charlie has barely eaten and hasn't left our bed. I've taken time off to comfort and be with him.

Right now i'm sitting on the couch scrolling through my phone to give charlie some time alone; it's been silent all day.

After a few minutes i get up and start making him a small lunch. I've been trying to get him to eat but most days he refuses. I don't want to force him but i know i probably should.

I finish making our sandwiches and walk the plates upstairs and i knock on the door. Charlie grunts and i come inside.

I walk in and see him laying flat in his back with his hands on his stomach, rubbing like there is a baby bump. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

Charlie: "i would've been 3 weeks today."

I sit on the edge of the bed, next to him and rub his leg.

Nick: "honey, it's okay."

He sits up and he looks angry

Charlie: "No nick! it's not okay! i killed our baby!"

He sobs.

Nick: "Char you didn't kill them; let's make that very clear"

He doesn't say anything; just sobs.

Nick: "and we both know that we're old now. i didn't expect your body to handle that again."

Charlie grunts as me again and i offer him his sandwich-

Nick: "here i made us some lunch"

Charlie: "i'm not hungry"

Nick: "sweetheart, you have barely eaten in the last week."

Charlie: "i don't want it!"

He turns so he isn't looking at me.

Nick: "well too bad, you need to eat atleast half."

Everything i've learned from our teenage years starts to flood back to me.

Charlie: "no!"

Nick: "fine don't eat then."

I set the plate on my bedside table, angrily kiss his head, and walk out.

I sit back on the couch and eat my sandwich.

(after a few minutes)

As i'm sitting, i hear footsteps to our bathroom, then digging.

I hear cabinets opening and closing. Silence.

The door locks.

I run.

Charlie's pov:

I walk into the bathroom and look for one of nicks razors. I know i shouldn't but i can't help myself.

I find his razor and i lock the door. I hear his footsteps coming up the stairs so i hurry.

Before i knew it, i have scraped the razor across my forearm. I feel like im on a disgusting and twisted high. I do it again and again and again.

Nick: "CHAR"

I stop.

i feel like my heart and stomach dropped to my feet at the same time.

I'm crying.

Nick: "char, please unlock the door and we can figure this out together"

CHalrie: "no i cant"

Nick: "come on baby. you know im not mad."

I don't say anything and the shadow under the door leaves. i don't know why or what he's doing until a few

moments later the the door handle is jiggling.

i ouch my back against the door so he can't open it and throw the razor in the cabinet under sink, roll my sleeve down, and keep fighting to keep it shut.

Nick: "Char, please i'm worried about you"

I'm sobbing now.

My knees buckle and he open the door just enough so he can slip in.

I collapse into his arms.

Charlie: "i don't wanna do this anymore. i killed the one thing you've always wanted and i barely work anymore, i jsut i can't. i want to-to *die"

nick stops breathing.

he sobs

Charlie: "i don't want to though. like i'm loving where im at but i just i lost the one thing we both always wanted with each other"

he takes a deep breath.

Nick: "honey, you did nothing wrong. we are getting older and when you get old, it happens. I love you and all three of our beautiful children. Nothing could be better and yes losing that baby hurts but you have to remember that we have other kids that we love so much."

I take a deep breath and think for a moment.

Charlie: "i'm not safe. i need to go back..."

nick sighs. not in an angry way, more of a overwhelmed/thinking sigh.

Nick: "okay, if that's what you want. i can drive you to the ER now, let them know what's happening, and see what places are open."

I nod and he lets go, kisses my head, and leads me to our bedroom.

As i change my clothes, nick texts his mom to come over to get the kids after school, which she of course agrees-no questions asked.

(after a few minutes)

Nicks pov (again):

we arrive at the ER and we tell the receptionist what's happening. she looks at char with pity, gives hum a form, and we wait.

I hold his hand; i don't pull out my phone but we don't talk either.

He's still crying a bit. I'm thinking of ways to tell our kids that their dad is in a psych hospital.

nurse: "Charlie!"

We go back and she gets the normal measurements until we get into our room.

(tbh this part is kinda triggering for me so after all the questions and stuff)

Doc: "so we did find a hospital that can take you. it will be about a week stay and depending on how you are there, you can get discharged or stay longer."

Charlie: "right thank you."

Doctor: "of course, you can drive there yourselves or you can go by the hospital's transportation."

Nick: "i will drive him, is we are discharged now?"

Doctor: "yes i have your papers here, and i hope you get better soon."

(at the hospital)

Charlie's pov:

we walk in and i walk to the front desk lady.

Charlie: "hi, the ER doctor said you guys had room for a patient"

??: "yes! please fill out all these forms and we will get stuff for you"

I sit back down with nick and fill everything out.

(30 minutes later)

nurse: "charlie!"

I stand up and so does nick. we walk to the nurse but she stops nick.

Nurse: "sorry, no other people besides staff and patients beyond this point. He will be able to contact for about 2 hours every day. Once in the afternoon and once at night."

I turn to him he sucks me like i'll disappear. kisses my head and finally my lips.

Nick: "i love you so much okay?"

Charlie; "love you too."

And with that, the nurse guides me to my room. This will be where i am for the next week...