-THREE

CHAPTER THREE: THE FARM

"can we just...pretend this didn't happen?"

SLEEP DID NOT INDULGE INDIANA THAT NIGHT.

Sophia's head rested against her chest, her stuffed doll tugged into her arms. Indiana kept her eyes peeled, searching constantly, always alert. Every sound made her squeeze her knife tighter and she did math problems in her head to pass the time.

Her eyes bloodshot, palms sweaty, and back aching; Indiana gently woke Sophia as the morning sun rose.

"Come on, Soph," she shook her softly. "We gotta get back today."

Sophia rubbed her eyes as she stirred, sitting up with a yawn. "Do you even remember how to get back?"

Indiana was silent, busying herself with tying her shoes and standing.

"I miss my mom," Sophia admitted quietly. "Do you think they're okay?"

"I know they are," Indiana responded immediately. "They've got my dad, and Daryl, and Rick, and Glenn, and T-Dog and Andrea. They're okay. Your mom's safe. Let's worry about us for now, okay?"

Sophia nodded and Indiana dug in her back, finding a granola bar, handing it to the younger girl. "Eat as we walk," she told her. "I'm sorry I got us lost."

"It's okay," Sophia shrugged. "It's like you said yesterday. More adventures."

Indiana smiled at Sophia's words, her heart warming, and she ruffled Sophia's hair playfully.

"More adventures indeed."

Indiana and Sophia walked for most of the day, chatting about any subject that came to mind. They talked about their parents, about Carl, about their favorite princesses and what they missed most about the old world.

Indiana had never had a sister, never been close to any female, really, but Sophia felt like what she imagined it would be like.

A paternal, protective, impenetrable love surged from Indiana to Sophie, in the same sense it did to Carl.

They came across a small cottage and Sophia asked quietly if she could rest for a bit. Indiana knew the heat was getting to them both, not to mention the dehydration, so Indiana had Sophia wait outside while she cleared the house.