- FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE: HOPE

"i'll always come home to you, lev"

BETH HELPED CALM SOPHIA DOWN, leaving Indiana time to wander back to her father and uncle, hope tugging at her heart and twisting her hands nervously.

"...to even try this, I have to put him under," Hershel's voice grabbed Indie's attention as she re-entered the living room. "He won't be able to breathe on his own. Same bad results."

Indiana walked next to her father, sending him a confused look. He shook his head and slung an arm around her shoulder, pressing a soft kiss to her curls, before taking his arm off her. She knew he was being extra affectionate because it could have been her in place of Carl, and the thought was killing him.

She secretly wished it had been her.

"What'll it take?" Rick asked hoarsely.

"You'll need a respirator," Otis spoke up. "What else?"

"The tube that goes with it," Hershel elaborated, "extra surgical supplies, drapes, sutures."

"If you had all that, you could save him?" Rick asked hopefully, tilting his head to meet Hershel's eyes.

"If I had all that, I could try," Hershel answered delicately.

"Nearest hospital went up in flames a month ago," Otis pointed out, before his face flickered in realization. "The high school."

"That's what I was thinking," Hershel agreed. "They set up a FEMA shelter there, they would have everything we need."

"I'll go," Indiana volunteered immediately. "If it's the only chance we have, then I'll —"

"—I need you with Carl," Hershel cut her off with a shake of the head, giving her a sympathetic look. "I understand your desire to help, Indie, but Rick can't lose much more blood. With you here, Carl has a better shot."

Indiana shook her head, sighing heavily.

"The place was overrun last time I saw it," Otis explained cautiously. "You couldn't get near it. Maybe it's better now."

"I said," Shane cleared his throat. "Leave the rest to me." He met Rick's eyes, a playful smile on his lips. "Is it too late to take that back?"

"I hate you going alone," Rick countered in a whisper.

"Me too," Indiana met his eyes. "We can grab someone from the group, you can — you can pick up Daryl on the way, he can —"

"Come on," he gave her a look. "I'll be fine, Indie. Doc," he looked to Hershel, a begrudging determination on his face. "Why don't you do me a list and draw me a map?"