- SIX

CHAPTER SIX: OTIS

"i'd never leave you, buddy"

SHANE WALSH HAD BEEN NOTHING BUT KIND TO INDIANA, from the day she met him.

Eleven years later and she could still recall the first time she met him. Teary-eyed, clinging to a stuffed bear, and a big cut on her forearm that she was told to say was an accident. He kneeled down in front of her, let Rick handle her parents and the reason for the domestic, and played pretend with the stuffed bear to make her laugh.

Shane had always been protective of her, too. Indiana supposed it stemmed from that first evening, when the connection formed between them began with ridding her of pain and brightening her life. He'd dropped her off until she was seventeen, in the police car, so all the boys knew who her adopted father was. Shane had her keep the door open when she had friends over — not that she ever had many — to ensure no one ever tried anything.

Shane was overprotective, but he had reason to be. With her history, it was only natural he wanted to keep the world from tainting her, from ruining the light in her eyes.

So, he encouraged her to collect stuffed animals and enjoy childish things. He didn't want her to grow up because she'd been forced to at such a young age.

And Shane had always been kind. Always put her happiness before her own. At macaroni and cheese for a month straight because it was her favorite food and baked chocolate chip cookies — with Lori's help — for her sixth-grade bake sale.

He was kind to Indiana.

And then he came back without Otis.

Indiana's head rested in Lori's lap as she lied between Rick and Lori, outside Carl's bedroom, waiting for Shane to return. Lori's hand gently ran through Indian's curls, the younger woman fighting sleep as exhaustion crept over her.

"He'll come back," Indie whispered sleepily. "He promised."

Rick's voice was solemn when he replied. "He never breaks a promise to you, Indie," he reached over and grabbed her hand. She squeezed it softly. "Carl'll be okay. So will Shane."

"I know," Indiana whispered again.

They had to be.

Carl coughed and the trio stumbled over each other in a rush to enter his room, all of them surrounding him. Lori moved to his right side, leaning down and smiling softly at his open eyes, Rick stood behind her, and Indiana kneeled right next to Lori.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Indina smiled tearfully.

Carl looked around nervously, but his face brightened when he saw Indiana.