- FOUR

TRIGGER WARNING:
panic attack, allusions to self-harming

CHAPTER FOUR: CARL

"you and Indiana aren't going anywhere

"you and Indiana aren't going anywhere."

INDIANA'S FAVORITE MOVIE AS A KID WAS MONSTER'S INC.

Shane liked action movies, and Indie would watch them with him, but she preferred kids movies.

They were simple and sweet and always ended happily. There wasn't a lot of blood or gore or pain.

Indiana had experienced enough of that as a kid to appreciate a life without it.

Shane indulged her. He bought her stuffed animals and they painted her room pink. She had glow-in-the-dark-stars on her ceiling and every Friday night they'd order pizza and watch a movie.

A movie of her choice.

When Carl was two, he joined them. This allotted date night for Rick and Lori, and brought the two kids closer.

Friday's were Indiana's favorite day of the week because she spent her night with her two favorite people.

But now, in the burning afternoon of what Beth's calendar marked as a Friday, she couldn't stop crying.

Monsters didn't come in fun colors and regret making you scream. They came in the faces of loved ones past and bullets in chests and people Indiana thought she could trust.

"You know his blood type?" Hershel asked Rick.

Rick, Indiana, and Shane hovered in the doorway, Indiana's hand tightly wound in her father's, seeking support from him. Tears stained her cheeks and she was glad she'd sent Sophia to spend time with Beth because the last thing she needed was to comfort that girl, too.

"A-Positive," Rick supplied. "Same as mine."

"Me too," Indiana added. "In case-in case he needs a lot. I read in school once that the-the human body needs to retain above 40 percent of its original supply or else-or else they'll die. They'll die. But, but Carl won't — Carl's fine, right?"

Hershel didn't look at her, pressing on Carl's abdomen, but he nodded. "That's correct, Indie. Now, you and your father don't wander too far, I'm gonna need you both. Trade off."

"Rick's not my dad," Indiana shook her head. "He's Carl's dad. He's like my uncle. Uncle Rick."

"Whatever he is," Hershel looked between the two. "You both stay here. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," Indiana nodded.

Shane moved his hand to her back, pulling her into a hug, and she leaned her head on his shoulder. Hershel looked to Otis.