10. Heat

My entire world is falling apart.

I sit on the bottom step of the staircase leading upstairs, my face in my hands, while police are milling about. I didn't call them. I didn't have the strength to do anything more than scream. I think my neighbor from across the street heard me and called 911.

They asked questions. I cried some more. Finally, my brain caught up with me and I was able to stop screaming. Then, I said the only words that mattered.

"I didn't do this." I whisper them again, though no one is near enough to hear.

"Eva!"

Daniel Trevor is finally here, still in his jeans and t-shirt. His hair is messy as if he's been running his hand through it repeatedly. I raise my face and my chin trembles.

"Steve is dead," I say. My voice is thick with the tears I'm trying so hard to hold back. "Daniel, Steve is dead and I..."

He crouches in front of me and shushes me, like I'm a child. I don't mind. I need to feel protected right now. So I lower my chin into my chest and let out the sobs. It's easier with him there, a shield between me and the strange men in my house.

He scoots closer and puts a hand on my shoulder. "I know this is awful, but I need to know what happened."

"I don't know," I sob. "I went out for a run and when I came back, I found him like this."

Even if I don't look up, I know that Daniel is frowning. He stands and moves over to his men, speaking to them in hushed voices. I tremble, suddenly cold.

How could this have happened? What's wrong with me?

What if I did it?

I probe my memory, but I can remember every moment I spent outside running. I didn't even zone out, let alone lose track of time. I focused on my surroundings, on what a beautiful day it was. It took me forty minutes on the clock to finish my run. How could I be in two places at once?

This is what logic is telling me. My stuttering heart has other theories. It can't be a coincidence that my vile wish came true. I didn't even mean it! Of course I didn't want Steve to die! But I thought it. I thought that he should get strangled by his PlayStation chord and that's what happened. I never said this out loud. There is no way someone heard me and decided to do this just to mess with me.

Daniel returns and squats in front of me again. "Your neighbor saw you leave and come back."

"Yes, I know."

"He didn't see anyone entering the house while you were gone."

This makes me raise my eyes to his. The heat in them startles me a little. "Do you think...?" I can't think this, it's too painful, but yet it gives me a sliver of hope. "Do you think Steve might have done this to himself?"

He purses his lips and I can tell he wants to assure me that it's possible, but can't. Just like in the back of my mind I'm also aware it's not an option.

"I don't think he could have. It would take a big fight against his self preservation to strangle himself like this. Plus..." His gaze drifts back towards the body. "The position of his hands indicated that he fought this."

Of course. I noticed that, too. But this leads me to another realization. "Whoever did this had to be strong enough to overpower Steve." So it couldn't be her. She was tiny. "Do you think someone broke into our house?"

He hesitates. "The boys are looking into that right now, but Eva... You left the door unlocked."

Yes, that was true. I rub my arms, trying to force some warmth to my being. "Why is this happening to me?" I raise my eyes, hoping for an answer, even if I know there isn't one. If there was any logical explanation, I would have figured it out by now.