15. Split

I can't believe this. 

The headlines jump at me, one after the other.

Drama hits young detective's family

Mysterious murder leaves police stumped

Daniel Trevor case runs cold

At first, they didn't suspect him. Then they did. Then they realized they had nothing and let him come back to work. All in the span of six months. Everything happened exactly one year ago, and according to him, he never let it go.

Of course he wouldn't, these were his wife a kids. And when something similar happened, of course he would jump on it.

Unless...

Breathing becomes hard as I scan the reports and news articles. The case was dismissed for lack of evidence. There is no clear conclusion that he didn't do it. The police just couldn't prove that he did. It's the same as what he told me. They're job was to prove he was guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.

What if... What if he did do it? And now that one whole year had passed and his own case went cold, he was ready to strike again? It would be poetic for it to be exactly one year apart. Serial killers liked poetic, didn't they? He went for family again. My family. Well, and my boss, but then again, seeing as I spent more time with Anika than my actual husband, maybe he considered her family as well. Three bodies. Just like last time.

My own body begins to tremble even as I do my best to control it.

But why me? He didn't even know me.

I scan the papers again, searching for further clues, for any link between me and him. I finally find it. One of the partners from my firm, Joffrey Dunn,  made a statement regarding the case and the evidence against Daniel. It's along the lines of 'the husband is always the guilty one in the end.' 

My eyes widen. I know the guy. He is the head of the litigation department, specialized in white collar crime. He would also do anything for some attention since his departament doesn't bring any money in, so he has to appear important in a different manner.

Why would he say something like that, though? And about someone who could very well be innocent and the grieving party. Anger bubbles inside me at this petty little man running his mouth and marking me as a victim.

But it still makes no sense. I wasn't part of this. I'm not on Joffrey's team. We don't even work on the same floor. I'm a corporate lawyer. I have nothing to do with any of this. And if he had to attack my work and make me look guilty, why not go to Joffrey directly? Why kill Anika?

"What are you doing?"

I jump and the anger inside me morphs into sheer terror. Daniel is in the doorway, wearing only a pair of sweats. His hair is tousled and he still looks sleepy, but the frown on his face shows he's not happy to find me here.

"I was hungry," I squeak.

"So you decided to eat my desk, or what?" 

I have no answer for the obvious sarcasm. I can tell that he's pissed, his eyes clouded with anger. He takes a step inside, but still blocks the doorway as if to make sure I can't escape. This is it. This is how I die.

He nods towards the papers. "That's part of my investigation."

I blink. Does he think I'm an idiot? I don't see any way out of this, so as long as I'm dead, might as well go out with a bang. The terror slips out of me, replaced by anger.

"So what? You're investigating yourself?"

"I'm investigating the incident."

"Is that what you call killing your wife and kids? An incident?"