16. Trauma

I soak in the tub until my skin is pruning. It still doesn't relieve all of the tension in my muscles and bones. I'm sore all over, especially between my legs, but it doesn't even hold a torch to the turmoil inside me.

As much as I try to rationalize and accept what happened over the past few hours, my brain refuses to let it sink it. But I did get my answer. I didn't do anything. It was that evil shadow thing and I now hope it's gone for good.

The fact that I can't be sure makes my skin crawl, but I decide now is not the time to concern myself with that. Now is the time to be glad that I'm alive and try to soothe my ailing body.

There's a soft knock on the door. I still jump a mile, making the water splash against the walls of the tub. It takes me a few seconds to calm down and convince myself that there's nothing out there that can hurt me.

"Yes?"

"You've been in there a while. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Daniel's voice is meek and exhausted. By his tone, I can tell that he wants to come in.

I want him to as well. Being alone isn't doing me any favors. "You can come in."

The door opens and he slides inside, his movements impaired by his own wounds. I know he broke a couple of ribs and his shoulders and sides are a myriad of purple bruises. This entire thing hasn't been easy on either of us.

I watch him as he makes his way to me and sits on the corner of the tub, by my feet. There's a haze in his eyes, but it's nothing like the swirling shadows. If anything, it makes him more human.

"I'm sorry to impose like this," he says.

I don't say anything because I understand. I do and don't want to be alone at the same time. And what we went through...

"I'm sorry I said those awful things to you."

He nods in acceptance and lets out a long breath. Things are both awkward and comfortable at the same time.

"So... You got struck by lightning, too?" I finally ask.

"Yes. A year ago. And my life went to hell ever since."

"But you've kept the shadows at bay for a whole year."

He nods again. Even if it's an impressive feat, he doesn't seem happy with himself at all.

"Do you think they're gone?" I ask.

"I... I don't know."

I don't either. But I decide not to worry myself with it just yet. There's a lot to process and now I'm confident that there will be a lot of time for everything. If I didn't die tonight, it won't be happening any time soon.

"So what's going to happen now?"

Daniel shifts and draws a sharp breath before settling in a comfortable position. "The investigation will probably run cold, just like it did when it happened last time," he says. "I'm taking myself off the case."

The news startles me. "Why?"

"I'm already involved. Too invested. And..." He bit on his lower lip. "I think we should stick together. I want you to move in."

His words send shivers down my spine, but the pleasant kind. I know that we barely know each other, but this secret that we share is greater than us. It makes me want to be with him, too.

"Just because we should stick together?"

He smiles, and even if it's exhausted, it lights up his face in ways that makes me forget the horror of his devilish duplicate. Yes, I can still look at him, still apreciate his beauty, still want him near. He is a pinnacle of strength, and makes me stronger, too. Being with him could never feel wrong.