4- taken it too far

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Sketch, I later found out, was a white rapper who, like Adam, was quite psychotic. He believed women where to be treated as nothing more than sex slaves who you should take  your anger out on when you wanted because they couldn’t feel  pain. He unashamedly abused his wife on a daily basis and the police won't do anything about it as she refuses to press charges. Back when I read this I had wondered what was wrong with her but now that  I know what she’s going through I can't judge her. This was serious stuff and if you got anyone else involved you were putting them in danger. It was just better to take what you were given.

That’s why I seized all communication with the outside world including my family. We moved two cities away from them but they think we moved to Australia. It’s better this way. I would hate if anything happened to them because of me. Day after day I’m stuck in this house only ever going out for my scans and check-ups at the hospital. Without them I think I’d have gone crazy by now.

The  thought of running away to another country away from him and start a new life had always been in my mind. I was going to do just that 8 months ago but  on that day I found out that  I was pregnant with Nathan. I knew  I couldn’t look after a baby on my own not without a job so I was stuck here with him.

When Adam found out it was a boy, he limited the beats as Sketch and Charlene had a baby boy Bryan who he loved.

As usual, Adam was nowhere to be seen. He was most probably at the pub drinking with his friends. Seizing the opportunity, I  ran over to my next door neighbour Kalin's apartment. She was the only person who knew about Adam thanks to the cheap ass thin walls in this apartment block. I’d tried to convince her that I’d just walked into a wall but of cause she didn’t believe me so I had to tell her everything. I feared for her life but she assured me that she’d be fine.  I didn’t believe her but she was so sure so I just left it. Despite her being 5 years younger than me, being 21, we had a lot in common with the exception of the abusive marriage and the pregnancy….

“So what’s new Katy?” Kalin asked with her sing song pixie like voice.

She could obviously see the masses of bruises that decorated my face but being Kalin, she rathered me tell her than her prying it out of me. So half-heartedly i replayed yesterday’s events.

“ I’m serious Katy, when Nathan is born you need to go back to your family” Kalin calmly said after Id finished

“You know I can’t. He’ll hurt them and I really can’t face them like this. All the explaining…..” I drifted off “I just can’t do it.” I finished, letting a tear slide down.

“Well my offer still stands you know” she said grinning immediately changing the atmosphere. “You me and Nathan in….. VEGAS!” she laughed immediately making me join in. That’s why I love her. She knows how to cheer me up.

After a few hours of girl time I decided it was time to leave before Adam came back.

 “Okay come back when you can” Kalin said walking me out

“Thanks Kay”

I started walking out when i felt  a sharp burning pain explode from Nathan to the rest of my body making me collapse to the floor screaming in pain.

“Katy!” I heard Kalin shouting but she sounded so far away.

I tried moving my arms but it felt like two elephants were holding them down. Another pain wave shot through me, engulfing my surroundings with darkness.