278 | Changes

MAX WAKES UP FROM the vibration of his phone. He slowly pulls it out from under his pillow and realizes that it's already 6:30 in the morning, so without even batting an eye, Max gets up from the bed, doing a quick stretch before looking around their cluttered dorm room to grab his wireless headphones and his change of clothes.

     While grabbing the things he'll need for his morning jog, Max sees Keigo still sleeping soundly, hugging his laptop like it was a teddy bear. Xander was also asleep, but instead of hugging an electronic device in bed, he once again fell asleep at his desk, holding a circuit board and a screwdriver. Max sighs and takes Xander's blanket so he can wrap it around his shoulder.

     Max was ready to finally head out, but then he heard someone snoring loudly, making him stop. He turned to the other bed and spotted 4th-year student Vesper Hugo Cinna sleeping soundly while still holding onto his baseball bat, ready to attack if anyone tried to sneak on him.

     Max still isn't used to seeing Vesper in their dorm because he never really slept there before, but now it's almost impossible to get him to leave. Though Keigo and Xander are still wary of him at times, they're glad that he's finally comfortable to be around them.

     "Sleep tight," Max whispered under his breath. After checking the room for one last time, Max quietly walks out so he can wash his face and change his clothes.

     "Good Morning," someone greets as Max steps out of the shared bathroom. He then turned around and found Stefan, the Serfs Division's official division representative, walking towards him while holding a checklist and whistle.

     "You're up early," Stefan says.

     "You look like you're ready for the day yourself," Max says back, making Stefan chuckle.

     Stefan then shows Max the clipboard he's holding before explaining, "Just doing my daily rounds. I'm going to be in big trouble if another serf ends up missing or snuck out again. The Saints are very serious with their curfew recently."

     "Well, I'm glad you're doing your job well."

     "And whose idea do you think this was in the first place?" Stefan then asks, staring at Max who can only shrug his shoulder, pretending like he had nothing to do with the election of their division's representative, which the Saints declared to be an official position the other day.

     "Anyway, I'll head out first. I'll see you at breakfast," Max says, and Stefan smiles at him and pats his shoulder as Max makes his way to the lobby.

    The serfs greeted him with a smile, and Max could only smile back, glad and relieved that their dorm's atmosphere was now better than his first day here.

     "Time for my morning jog," Max says, putting his earphones on and opening the main door, revealing a clean campus that successfully hid away all the damages that were caused during the past week.

     It's been three days since the arrest of the Ministry. Everyone was busy, and everything was happening so fast that no one could even keep up with the changes thrown at them from left and right. You could simply say that St. George Academy was flipped upside down, literally and figuratively.

     A day after the Ministry's arrest, police came and inspected the entire campus, looking for whatever they were instructed to find. The students were also asked to head back home for the time being, but not a single soul wanted to leave, probably because they didn't want to get raided by the media and answer questions they were tired of hearing themselves.