Ch. 1: Run

Note: Some of the formatting got messed up when I transferred it from my word processor.  I will try to clean it up.

     The sound of an arrow flying through the air ripped her, gasping, up to the surface of the soundless ocean. The fog lifted from her eyes, revealing the ancient forest all around her. Of course, this place. It looked almost identical to how she remembered it.

                                      fwip.

                                                                                                                   THUNK.

     An arrow sank into a tree trunk to her left. She blinked, watching the fletching wobble up and down. Black arrows.

                                                                                    Black...

     The elf sprang, scrambling, to her feet. No longer was she floating in that ethereal underwater dream. She tore off deeper into the forest.

                                                                                                            Fwoo- THWACK!

     Another arrow struck into the roots near her feet. She dove away from the woosh of wind. She fell face first into the leaf litter. The pounding of feet vibrated the ground beneath her. The baying of hounds came to her ears. Run.

     She pushed herself up with a grunt. This is what you were afraid of, she told herself.

     Run. She zig-zagged up and down over the hills of gnarled tree roots. They will hunt you. No matter how fast you run, they will catch you. She slid down an eroded embankment, skidding to a stop at the bottom. This is their realm. And you are not welcome to it.

     The elven woman took a second to evaluate the steepness of the other side. She gritted her teeth and jumped, crawling up the slope. She hurled herself up, pausing for just a moment. Another arrow skittered to the edge of the embankment. It tumbled to the bottom where she had just been. Run. She ran straight for a while before veering sharply to one side. You are not welcome here. Not welcome to their forests, nor their feast halls. The wind howled cold through her thin robe. Not to their crystal waters, sparkling and clear; nor their russet twilight rays sprayed through canopies of autumn leaves. She leapt deftly over a decaying tree trunk. Not to their ethereal lightness, untainted, nor their mellifluous sleep-song that travels on the ether under glittering stars. Their ancient magics, and the shining golden souls their halls hold. Her vision blurred. All are things you will never grasp, never taste, never see... ever again. Tears ran down her face as she ran. The bramble and coniferous brush lashed at her legs. You relinquished this place when you made your choice.

            Run.

                             They will not forgive you.

                                                       You cannot even forgive yourself.

           If you wanted empathy,

                                     you should not have chosen to lay amongst the gods.

     She looked back. Run as fast as feet will fall. Do not stop. The black arrows continued to sing past her face. Fwoosh.