Appendix 1. Flowers

This is an appendix of some of the flowers used in chapter 8 and some characteristics of the language used in it.  

"Gardenia+ Buttercups"= the way of referring to the flower language system: lit. Buttercup words or 'Our words'.

Buttercup Words uses SOV structure where the subject of the sentence is first, followed by object and the verb is at the end. e.g. 'Mirek reads Elvish' would be expressed like 'Mirek Elvish reads'.

It frequently uses compounding.  For example, the word for learn is a compound of 2 flowers try + know (lilac + pink tulip) and teach is make + know (prayer plant + pink tulip); Elvish is "elf words" (gardenia+ wisteria).

Negation is expressed by snapping the flower stem and can occur on verbs, nouns and adjectives to express 'not', 'no'.  That's why there's a lot of tulip abuse.  If, for whatever reason, the stem cannot be snapped/broken one can flip the flower/plant upside down.  E.g. "I am not hurt" you can flip the cactus upside down as breaking the cactus might hurt you and make your statement false. XD

Copulas (the verb to be) are generally null.

Pronouns are not often expressed.  In general, the subject is typically implied to be "I" or one can motion the flower-word towards another person to express you or he/she/it/they.  If you want to be precise, you would use someone's name flower.  If they don't have a name flower you may refer to them with a point or a generic term related to their race (e.g. the elf) or some other (typically physical) characteristic.

Plurals are typically expressed by multiples of the word and are often iconic in that they represent the literal number of what is being talked about but not always.  Hence, why Mirek creates a cascade of morning glories to represent literally the number of days it took them to create Buttercup Words.

Adjectives follow nouns e.g. Elvish = gardenia + wisteria, lit. words elf or "elf words".

Intensifiers (e.g. augmentatives/diminutives) are encoded by size of the flower.  If you are really sad, you might create a very large hydrangea.  If you are only a little sad, you might create a small one.  

The stage of the bloom is also grammatically important and can be the difference between a noun and a verb.  Usually, open blooms imply verbs and buds, or closed blossoms are nouns.  Pink rose is the name flower for Lena. A pink rose in bloom is the verb 'love'.  Actions that occur with the flower may also carry meaning (e.g. cry is "Shake hydrangea so the petals fall").

The system mainly uses an absolute frame of reference, meaning there are no words for left/right but positional words are expressed in regard to cardinal directions North, South, East and West.

Since it is a relatively new system, sometimes words need to be extended to another concept.  For example, Tradescantia Zebrina.

Tradescantia Zebrina is Andraste's name plant due to its silvery iridescence and purple coloration which are reminiscent of her eyes

Tradescantia Zebrina is Andraste's name plant due to its silvery iridescence and purple coloration which are reminiscent of her eyes. It becomes quickly extended to the word for 'god'.