Ch. 6: Peril

Day 6-8: 170 Miles Out

     Suddenly, the prarie flats turned into mountains, as if the map of the plane had been created by a child globbing paint onto paper. They had not been there the day prior but sure enough, they were there now. The temperature however, was never too cold to change into warmer cloaks or clothes. The mountains were an unexpected surprise, but one that Granik and Hafsa had themselves been aware of. It added time to their trek a bit. The group spent about 3 more days here before they crossed into the next ring. But the extra time and the added difficulty of the terrain actually aided them. It put everyone in a quiet meditative climb. They could hardly talk what with the walking and paying attention to the donkey and the cart. It gave everyone time to cool off after the tense few days between leaving and finding the mountains. There was little talk at night aside from singing a few songs before conking out for the night.

     However, Andraste's dreams had gotten more eventful. On the nights she braved sleep or was able to quiet her mind enough to try to meditate into one, she would often see flashes. Of what, it was hard to tell. One night, very clearly, she made out the image, as it was so horrifying it seared itself into her mind's-eye: a severed drow head, mouth agape and eyes sewn shut. Its open mouth glowed brilliant blue as medallions of magic stuffed down its throat poured forth their light, dripping strings that once hung around the owners' necks over the cracked leathery lips that somehow still seemed life-like enough to release a blood-curddling scream which now pierced Andraste's ears. She opened her eyes with a start. All was quiet around her. None of the others stirred and only the sound of wind was heard rustling through the tree branches. Was it a dream or was it a memory? And if it be a memory, from what life did it come?

Day 9: 200 Miles Out

     Their descent from the mountains brought them into hills as green as in early summer after the spring rains have made them grow lush. There was some light vegetation that dotted the grass, no blooms to speak of, but a tree every so often to give some kindly shade. They had hardly even set foot upon the grass when a hideous screech came up from the back of the caravan. As Lienna and Tariel had been walking behind the cart, the creature seized upon them first. A high-pitched shriek came from a surprised Lienna as she loosed a bolt from her crossbow. The halfling was quick. The rest of the party turned and saw a horrid beast with long dangling arms, reddish grey skin and fangs that protruded up from its bottom jaw.

     Tariel drew his sword as a moment later another pair of the demons was upon them. He took several swings with his thin elegant blade, slicing the demons' flesh in precise painful ribbons. Lienna appeared to be quite precise as well, as she—nearly without looking, aimed at one moving toward her, and fired squarely into its jugular sending forth bright red spurts of blood. With this new demon and another that ran from the side towards Yama, five of the creatures now set upon the group. Yama froze as the beast barreled toward him. Andraste ran over to his side, swiping her hand down as she had done before to make her shield appear and raised it in front of Yama. Yama heard the sound of its claws tinging off the metal and a frustrated yowl erupted from the creature's throat. Andraste reached upward and her sword appeared in her hand just in time for her to swing down on the demon. Then a jab. She slammed the demon with the shield, opening the space between them.

     "Th-thanks." Yama stuttered, trying to grasp his staff behind him. Granik pushed Hafsa behind him and took up a grounded stance, brandishing a small tent hammer.

     Nunzio brought out a pendant from under his shirt collar. He moved his mouth and hurled two beams of aquamarine fire at one of the demons on Tariel in quick succession. The demon that had been fired upon moved away from Tariel who quickly sliced at its heels, severing the tendon and causing it to lash out. He maneuvered away, but it caught him in the abdomen.