Chapter 12: Trojan Fruit

Gliding down the mountain in Kearo's arms wasn't as fairy tale as I wanted to be. It was so cold that Kearo tucked Ray's cloak into every crevice between us until I looked like a fly caught in spider silk. Lexington would be thrilled. I was also not a fan of heights, and descending like a bucket to the bottom of a well had me clinging to Kearo his feet stood firmly on grass. He had to pry my fingers off, and I leaned on his arm to regrow my land legs while he unwound my cloak.

"Hey, beautiful!" Ray's voice swiveled my head toward the forest path, but he wasn't talking to me. With a wave, Ray greeted Kearo who pursed his lips as he detangled his long hair swept over a shoulder.

"You know each other?" I asked as I waited for the world to stop spinning.

"Sure," Ray answered with a combative narrowing of his eyes and a snarky smirk warping his lips. "This guy came through just before your group. Blew me off when I tried to say 'hi' and completely ignored Sven. Jerk makes Xin look welcoming."

Sven slinked over as soon as he was mentioned but hid behind Ray like a scorned child, his hands on Ray's shoulders and his eyebrows lowered. It looked like the moon trying to hide behind a dark cloud, but slivers of grey peeked out around the edges.

They glared each other down on the forest path cutting through the trees like a spaghetti western, the rustle of leaves setting the scene like a wayward tumbleweed before the quick draw that ended it all. Dragon flames likely beat anything Kearo could muster, and it was best that everyone got along with what we would soon face, so I did my best to deescalate the situation.

With my hand obscured behind my body, I slipped the spoon and fork I'd stolen from Xin out of my pocket and pressed them to Kearo's hand behind his back. I hadn't gotten them for Sven, but I could easily borrow them later. Their presence cranked Kearo's eyebrow as I hopped a foot closer to Ray.

"I'm sure Kearo was just in a hurry, Sven." My voice coaxed Sven out from behind Ray, and some of the hurt faded as he stood up straight to face me. "We brought gifts from our trip."

I nodded Sven toward Kearo, and he immediately scrutinized him like a dog that had just heard the word walk. Shifting from one foot to the other, Sven resisted accosting Kearo for all of a second before he circled in search of a promised treat. I coughed a laugh as Kearo pulled his hands in to get further from Sven but inadvertently brought the utensils into sight. Sven homed in on them, and an impatient puff of smoke seeped from his lips when Kearo did not relinquish his prize.

Kearo swiveled his head in my direction like a security camera grating against rusted gears, and a silent question burned in his blue eyes. 'Do you really expect me to hand kitchen utensils to a dragon?' I couldn't answer as Sven leaned so close to Kearo's face that they'd kiss if anyone sneezed, and Kearo gave in.

"Sorry about earlier," Kearo ground out, and as soon as he opened his hand, Sven snatched up the gifts and retreated to Ray's side. There, Sven flipped the stainless steel utensils up and down, lingering on the golden trim of the handles, and his smile progressively grew.

"Thank you, friend," Sven said, zipping back to Kearo and taking a hand in both of his. "I misjudged you." Ray slapped a hand on his face that said Kearo was far from forgiven in his book, and Sven moved on to me. "Give," Sven demanded with a growl that echoed like thunder. "Please," he added with a hiss of a smoke, the greed of a dragon over treasure showing on everything from his flared nostrils to his restlessly rolling fingers.

I deposited a little pile of gems that I'd picked from Xin's furniture in Sven's hand before he nipped at my fingers, and he scrutinized them with an excited spin that ran a ring of smoke around him.