9. Unfinished Business

CHAPTER NINE : UNFINISHED BUSINESS

"I'm not sure how it got in there in the first place, but the key should unlock the study room," Hamza muttered as he rummaged through his pocket and took out a set of keys.

I nodded as Salam let go of my hand. She had not let go of my hand ever since we met yesterday, except when one of us needed to go to the bathroom. She ran towards the garden, where flower pots of roses, peonies, and thyme lined up in a row. "Do you think—"

My words were cut off when Salam held up a flower pot of red peonies and stood in front of me, blocking my way to the door. "Mama, look! This is the flower that I plant. I water it every day, like you said."

"You did well, Salam. The plant looks so healthy," I beamed, patting her shoulder, to which she responded with a toothy grin.

"Sweethearts, come in," Hamza called out from the house when he realised we didn't trail behind him. "Forgive me if the house isn't in the cleanest state. You know I'm not that good at cleaning." He scratched the back of his head, somewhat ashamed of the view of the living room.

Soft toys and blankets were scattered all over the floor, and bits of bread crumbs were littered on the table in front of a television.

"Mama, I tried to help, but Baba said I make more mess than cleaning the house," she giggled as she hopped inside the living room. "But I know how to sweep the floor. Mama, look!" She grabbed a broom and started sweeping the debris on the floor.

A smile tugged on my lips as I kneeled in front of Salam, kissing both of her cheeks. "My baby is a big girl now."

Hamza called out to us as he walked into the hallway beside the kitchen. "We can clean the house later. Right now, we have more important things to do," he said, cutting short my interaction with Salam for the second time. It was almost as if he was jealous because we didn't include him in the conversations. It made sense, though, since Salam had ignored him ever since we reunited.

"Is it unsafe to stay here?" I asked, holding Salam's hand in one hand as we ventured through the hallway. The situation in the hallway was not as unkempt as the living room, except for Salam's little, colourful balls scattered all over the hallway.

"Better safe than sorry," he sighed. "You will live in the safehouse for the time being. It's safer for you and Salam."

"How about you?"

"I'll live in the warriors' quarters. It's not like my presence means anything to both of you," he murmured, walking towards the furthest room in the hallway.

I shared a look with Salam, who raised her thick eyebrows at her father's words. Her confusion at Hamza's sulking tone was evident on her adorable little face.

As I bit my lower lip to stop myself from laughing, I brought Salam closer to Hamza, who had his back to us. "Aw, why did you say that? You mean so much to us." I said, hugging his torso.

Salam followed my action and hugged his legs. "Yes, baba. I love you so much!"

Hamza wrapped his arm around my shoulders, and with his other hand, he caressed Salam's brown hair. When I looked up at him, he had a small smile on his face. "I know. I love you both so much."

We were in a warm embrace for a while since we hadn't had a proper hug since my departure for Akkadiyah. Hamza cleared his throat, patting my back. "We should get going. I have a meeting with Commander Zaid after lunch. You can take everything you need from the study room. I'll take my things, and then we can pack our clothes."

He led me to the study room, a door away from our bedroom. Salam was in his arms since they had reconciled from her unintentional silent treatment.

I handed the key to Hamza; the string that dangled over the bow reminded me of my time with the Bedouins. I truly wished they were all in good health. I would love to visit them with Hamza and Salam someday.