10. The Story of Malik Shah

CHAPTER TEN : THE STORY OF MALIK SHAH

"The tyrant, King Emir Shah, is not the rightful heir to the throne. King Assad, his father, actually passed the throne to his first-born daughter and son-in-law, who was also his trusted protégé. However, Emir Shah conspired with several high officers in the court and killed the royal couple after their father's death. The elder nobles, who are loyal to his father, insisted that Malik Shah, the only child of the couple, inherit the throne since he's the second in line."

Everyone in the meeting room waited in anticipation as Prof. El-Azizi paused to catch his breath through the storytelling. Sitting at the centre of the round table was Prof. El-Azizi, and on his right was Commander Zaid, a warrior, another warrior, Hamza, me, Leila, Sarah, and lastly Nabil on the left side of Prof. El-Azizi. As Prof. El-Azizi explained his story, Sarah typed on her laptop every word he said, as she was in charge of writing the report of the meeting. At the farthest corner of the room was a little table, where Salam was scribbling in her colouring book in silence, since everyone in the house was involved in the meeting and no one could watch over her outside the meeting room.

He took a sip of the plain water before resuming his story. "However, Malik Shah was only eight years old at the time of his grandfather's and parents' deaths. Emir Shah, with his deceitful mind, vowed to the court that he would hand over the throne to his nephew when he reached the age of 21."

"But before Malik Shah's twenty-first birthday, Emir Shah exiled him to an unknown location," finished Commander Zaid. "Is that right?"

Prof. El-Azizi nodded.

"But why?" Nabil asked. "How did the nobles in the court react to the exile? Since Emir Shah vowed to give the throne to his nephew."

"When he started to arrest people who criticised his aggressive ways, he banned me from teaching in my schools and public institutions. Because I had a close friendship with his father and the court, he couldn't arrest me. But they created a slander that I was persuading the younger generations, including Malik Shah, to rebel against the kingdom. That's how they justified my imprisonment and Malik Shah's exile."

"So, how can the information help us against the regime?" Hamza said, leaning forward and intertwining his fingers on the table.

"His father specifically said in his will that the throne would be inherited by his firstborn daughter, his son-in-law, and their descendants. He knew Emir Shah was unfit to inherit the throne because of his aggressive ambition, so he cut his line to the throne. But when the tyrant exiled Malik Shah, the nobles who were loyal to King Assad's will were unable to provide concrete evidence to save Malik Shah. That's why, if we can save Malik Shah and clear his name, those nobles will support him and let him take over the throne."

"Do you know where he's been exiled?" a warrior beside Hamza asked.

Prof. El-Azizi nodded. "I have some friends in the court. They're able to find out where he's been exiled. It's the Golden Sand Isle."

Through my peripheral vision, Hamza and Commander Zaid shared a glance, probably contemplating whether saving Malik Shah was worth the risk.

"We have the skill and expertise to save him. Our best warriors might have been taken by the regime, but our second-best warriors are still skilled," Hamza explained.

Commander Zaid responded with a small nod. But I could see through his deepened frown lines that it was not the problem stopping him from the mission. He heaved a sigh before turning to Prof. El-Azizi. "How do we know the prince won't follow the same path as his uncle?"

Prof. El-Azizi scrunched his nose, as if he couldn't believe the commander would ask something like that. "Malik Shah is a bright child of his age. He has his father's intelligent mind and his mother's kindred heart. I taught him myself and observed his development since he was a child. There's a reason why King Assad chose them to be his successor. He knows Emir Shah is full of deceit and revenge, and with the way his ambition lies, he would be a dictator, not a leader. The only way to save the kingdom and the people is to make sure the right person takes the place."