14. Royal Court of Akkadiyah

CHAPTER FOURTEEN : ROYAL COURT OF AKKADIYAH

The journey towards the royal court had been smooth, thanks to Malik Shah's royal badge, which he wore with dignity on his chest. The road to the border and the forty-five-minute flight to Sarai had been nerve-wracking since we would finally confront the tyrant. But it needed to be done. Commander Zaid agreed to let a few warriors escort us to the court, led by his second-in-command, Hamza.

"I can't believe I would ever step foot on the royal court," Leila said, her face losing its healthy colour as she gazed at the vast, mighty hallway towards the court.

Golden-coloured curtains adorned the large windows; the graceful drapes made of exquisite silk flowed down from the ceiling. Colourful flowers in large vases decorated the hallways, while mediaeval tapestries and vintage paintings enriched the ivory wall.

"And I can't believe I would ever return to this palace," Malik Shah murmured under his breath as he led the group.

Hamza and another warrior walked at each of his sides, while Prof. El-Azizi, Professor Nadeem, Leila, and I walked behind them. Three other warriors walked behind us as a defensive line in case Emir Shah tried to harm our group.

As we reached the double door that stretched to the ceiling, the men who guarded the entrance stopped us. "No warriors from Aman are allowed inside the court. Order from King Emir Shah."

Hamza stepped closer to the guards, narrowing his eyes. "Your king is not my king. We go by Malik Shah's order only."

Malik Shah squared his shoulders as he flashed his royal badge to the guards. "They'll come with me. No one will be harmed."

Both of the guards shared a conflicted glance. After a while, one of them said, "This is the order from the current king."

Malik Shah raised his palm, stopping the guard from saying any more words. "The only reason my uncle doesn't want these warriors to come with me is because he has an intention to harm me. That's why they have to come with me, in case something happens inside the court."

"But His Majesty will end us if we disobey his order," said the other guard.

"There's no guarantee he would still be a king after Malik Shah steps inside the court," Professor Nadeem interrupted the conversation. "The last will of King Assad is clear; Malik Shah is the rightful heir to the throne, approved by King Assad himself."

"Don't let Emir Shah's influence delude you from the truth," Prof. El-Azizi added.

"Fine," the guard at the right exhaled a heavy sigh. "Everyone can enter the court."

But the other guard stretched his hand in front of the handles, stopping his colleague from opening the door. "On one condition. Make sure you win."

I grinned at the guard's words, clutching my messenger bag closer against my chest like it was the most valuable thing in the whole world. But given the situation at the time, its value would make Emir Shah fall from the throne. Hamza glanced over his shoulder, making sure I was all right before he stepped inside the court with Malik Shah.

Before I could take another step, I felt a tug on my arm. Leila looked at me worriedly, as if she were going to faint at any moment. Prof. El-Azizi and Professor Nadeem walked past us after they had seen my nod that I would take care of the situation.

"Salwa, I think I made the wrong decision."

I sent a reassuring smile to her, putting my hands on both of her shoulders, although I needed to tiptoe a little to reach her height. "No, Leila. You made the right decision. In fact, I think this will be the best decision you'll ever make. You said it yourself; you want to confront your fears. This is the moment. You'll prove to them that you're a kind and great person after everything they've forced you to do. You'll prove to them that you're healthy and safe even after they banished you into the desert."