Memories on the Wall - Chapter 1

Mayfair Art Gallery

February 8, 1965

Cynthia*

“Those are lovely glasses Cynthia, are they new?”

“Yes as a matter of fact, they are. ” She smiled to her coworker, Evelyn. “Thanks Ev.”

Cynthia’s glasses most definitely were not new. She wore them at least three days a week when she didn’t feel like bothering with her contacts. It was just easier to say yes than to get into a long and trying conversation with her well-meaning colleague .It was moments like these that she hated working at the gallery and missed being home in Hoylake. She felt as if everything was on the surface in London, that you could only get by being as phony as the people around you. Just smile and nod. Everything was so trivial and superficial.

“Did you hear Ringo was getting married this Thursday? I can’t believe it! Hearts will break around the world yeah?”

"I did read it in the papers. I suppose some people may find it shocking but Rich—” she stopped herself, “Ringo’s…I read he’s been with this girl for a while now. Maybe he just wants to settle down…a bit at least.”

“Oh please, Cynthia. He’s a Beatle. How can any of them truly settle down? I do wonder if it’ll affect their popularity.”

“Well I think it would be pretty silly if it does. Do all these potty girls ‘round the world really think they’ll have an opportunity to marry a Beatle, let alone be in the same room with one?”

Evelyn was a pretty girl in a simple kind of way, a plain Jane type but a person who’s feelings about someone or something were always very clearly written all over her face. Now she was looking at Cynthia like she was out of her mind. “What have you got against the Beatles anyway Cynthia? Blimey - I’m just trying to make conversation.”

Cynthia sighed, “I’m sorry Ev. I just don’t enjoy talking about them very much.” She smiled, trying to lighten the tone, “I guess I just prefer the Rolling Stones.”

“You’re having a laugh! How could you prefer a Mick Jagger over a John Lennon?”

Cynthia hated that Evelyn was a “John fan” and hated discussing him most of all. Her heart often felt like it would burst out of her chest whenever he came up - whether it was in conversation, the paper, or especially on the telly. She missed and thought of him everyday.

“Let’s just call it a matter of taste,” She smiled. “I’m off to the back for a bit - going to check the details of this week’s deliveries. Give a shout if you need me.”

Cynthia hurried off to the back office before Evelyn could object and closed the door behind her. She paused a moment to close her eyes as she leaned her back against door. She wouldn’t even be in London if it wasn’t for John. She’d most likely be living in Hoylake, taking care of her mum and teaching at the junior art school.

Mo and Rich’s wedding was only a few days away and surely John would be attending. Cynthia had met Maureen Cox back in Liverpool, when Cynthia was in a serious relationship with John and Maureen had first started dating Rich. They had immediately hit it off and become fast friends. Maureen was a sweet girl, six years younger than Cynthia, with a similar sense of humour. They were always laughing and Cynthia admired her inner strength. Maureen was also a shoulder to cry on when John left and remained close to Cynthia through the years. It had been almost been two years since Cynthia and John broke up and though she was both terrified and excited about coming face to face with him, she knew she had to be there to support her friend on her wedding day.

Her thoughts were interrupted – yet again by Evelyn. “Cynthia! Phone call on line one!”

She hadn’t seen the blinking red light on the telephone in front of her. She cleared her throat as she still often got a bit nervous speaking to people over the phone and walked over to the desk in front of her, picking up the receiver. “Hello. This is Cynthia Powell speaking.”

“Hello Miss Powell. This is Brian Epstein’s secretary. One moment while I connect you to Mr. Epstein.”

“Oh but I—” before she could speak she heard a click and knew she had already been placed on hold. What on earth could Brian want? Did John have a message for her? Did he want to meet her before the wedding?

“Hello? Cynthia?”

She smiled into the receiver, “Brian. It’s so nice to hear from you.” Despite Brian having tried to conceal John and Cynthia’s relationship back in Liverpool, she had always respected him. He was an excellent manager and though she didn’t like it, she understood that he was only doing his job by trying to make it appear as though all of his Beatles were single and available. Brian was always exceptionally polite to Cynthia, a true gentleman. They also had one very important thing in common at that time - loving and putting up with John on a daily basis.

“Hello my dear. I hope you’ve been well. I’ve heard you’ve made quite a name for yourself on the London art scene.”

“I’m trying. The gallery’s doing quite well so I can’t complain. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some fantastic people.”

“Well done. I’m sure you must be busy and I’m terribly sorry to bother you at the gallery but you see, I just have to talk to you about the upcoming wedding. We’re trying to keep it very quiet to avoid a lot of press and I need to be sure that you -“

Cynthia sighed, “Brian, you must know me better than that. I would never say anything. I haven’t told a soul about any of it. Most of my friends in London don’t even know about John and I…”

“Right. I’m sorry Cynthia. I just needed to make myself clear. My office is calling all of the guests but obviously I wanted to speak with you directly. John’s not the only one who misses you dear. We all hope you’re alright and I know George is especially looking forward to seeing you.”

She laughed softly. “Cheers Brian. That’s very kind of you to say and I miss you all as well. How is    J—”

“Well, must go. Take care love and I’ll see you soon.”

She hung up and sighed. Clearly Brian was not about to get into a conversation about John at the moment. It didn’t really matter - she was going to see him on Thursday regardless.