Memories on the Wall - Chapter 16

"Kenwood"

Weybridge, Surrey

December 24, 1967

John**

He had no interest in speaking to her, but Neil had said she insisted on seeing him; she'd been ringing up the office for weeks. Now she was contacting Neil directly at his home and delivering messages through Rich and Mo. "It's Christmas, John," they'd say, "at least hear her out, like she did with you. You owe her that."

He sat back on the couch and necked his glass of whiskey as he eyed the clock on the wall over his wire-rimed specs. She'd be there soon.

It was another twenty minutes before she actually arrived. Classic Cyn; she was rarely on time. 

"Nice of you to turn up then," he muttered as she entered into the room, before she even had a chance to greet him.

She stopped short in the doorway to the sitting room and half smiled, tucking her hair behind her right ear, as she always did when she was nervous. She looked stunning, standing there in a black turtle neck and short grey mini. She was wearing black tights and knee high boots that showed off a pair of legs that wouldn't quit. Somehow she always managed to turn simplicity into elegance. 

They stared at each other in silence.

"Right. Well, I was on time, originally you see but then I nearly forgot what I came here to give to you and I had to turn around and --"

"What are you doing here Cyn?" he snapped, "shouldn't you be at home with Roberto?"

"Where's Yoko?" 

How dare she. 

"It's none of your fuckin' business," he paused as he set down his glass before looking back to her, "luv."

She sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. I'm not at home with Roberto because we've split up." She looked down before taking a massively deep breath, "Everyone's told me I'm mad to come here and say this..."

"What are you on about?" He interrupted.

Her eyes met his. "I still love you. For Christ's sake John, I'll always love you. I won't let you go that easily...I needed to come here and tell you that." She looked frightened as she waited for his reaction.

He closed his eyes and leaned back into the couch. Why couldn't she have said this to him months ago? Things were in the shit and she buggered off to Italy into the arms of someone she had probably been seeing behind his back for over a year. She was, quite simply, not the girl he thought she was.

"Bullshite. You fucked off on holiday. You walked away and left me here on me own, in me head, going fuckin' mad."

"I know now that I shouldn't have gone. I shouldn't have left when things were so bad...but I would never dream of being unfaithful to you. You know that."

"For fuck's sake Cyn, I had you followed y'know! I know he was there with you and I also know you met him last summer, while I was off on tour bustin' me fuckin' ass and buying you a fuckin' ring! How long had you been fuckin' him then luv? Did you invite him here when I wasn't around?"

"Nothing happened." She walked into the room and knelt down in front of him, placing her left hand on his knee. He noticed she was still wearing the ring and looked away from her. "John, please. I met him last summer, yes, because his family owned the bloody hotel I was staying at. I was alone so he offered to escort me to dinner and things. That's it. Nothing happened. Then when I went back with Phyl, when you and I were having problems, it was the same thing...until I saw you had stepped out with Yoko. That's when it became something more."