Memories on the Wall - Chapter 3

“Kenwood” Weybridge, Surrey    

February 9, 1965      

John*

“What do you mean you didn’t tell her not to come?”

“John, you must calm down. Despite what you may believe, I don’t have the authority to tell someone where they can and cannot go on your behalf.”

“You could have told her it wasn’t a good idea. She would have listened to you.”

“She’s coming John. It’ll be fine, absolutely fine. Cynthia’s not the type of girl to stir up trouble. She’ll be perfectly lovely to you and to Julie.”

“I’ve had enough of this conversation y’know. Ta Brian.” John slammed the receiver down just as Julie walked into the den.

“Everything alright?”

They had only been dating a few months and she still took his breath away. She was the most famous girl he had ever been out with and now Julie Christie was fast becoming more popular than the Beatles. She was Britain’s sweetheart, massively talented and now dating one of the the Fab Four. Though John often wondered if it was the real thing or just a publicist’s dream, he was happy. Julie was stunning, talented, and had a busy travel schedule just like John. It worked.

“Everything’s fine. That was Brian - moaning as always.”

“What’s he on about now?”

“The wedding - making sure all his ducks are in a row.”

“Oh right…the wedding.” She bit her lip and looked to him. “I don’t think I’ll be able to make it love…”

“Why not?”

“The film, I need to be on set. We’re flying to Madrid tomorrow evening.”

John sighed but he did not get angry. He was getting accustomed to Julie’s schedule as she was to his. They often had to cancel plans, postpone trips, or sometimes forgot about their plans all together. 

“It’s alright.” He reached for her hand pulling her close to him. “I know you’ll find a way to make it up to me.” He gave her a wicked grin and batted his eyes at her.

She pulled away. “John, please!” She turned away. “I really do hate it when you make those silly faces!”

Julie was smart, a stunning blonde and fantastic shag, but times like this one made him miss Cyn. She would have laughed. He could always make her laugh.

“Sorry then.” He shrugged nonchalantly and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. “Fancy a night out in London tonight?”

“I would love one…but I’m meeting David for dinner.” David Lean was the director of the new film Julie was working on and she idolized him. “We need to discuss a few things, for the film of course. I know you understand.” She kissed his lips gently.

“Come back here afterwards then. Don’t go back to your flat.”

She smiled. “Alright, if that will make you happy.”

As he leaned in to kiss her once more, he thought of Cyn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caxton Hall Register Office, London

February 11, 1965

John*