21

I stared at the damages that the library endured with an obvious frown. This would take forever to fix whether I had help or not. I glanced at my reflection from the shattered window on the ground. My eyes were back to their usual hue of light blue. An obvious sign that my contract with Stolas was voided. I only assumed that any other contracts people made with me had also been torn up with my initial death. I growled in irritation. That took a century to accrue! 

"What bothers you mi amor?" Carmilla murmured softly toward me. 

"I am so much weaker now," I grumbled. "It will take forever to regain if I decide to do so. The library may be in even more danger now because my magic is practically powerless!" 

"It doesn't have to be." The amused tone I knew for centuries took me by surprise. I turned back to Stolas. His beak turned up in a grin. 

"What are you doing here?" 

"Watching your contract try to disintegrate in my hands worried me. When I got here, God was holding your dead corpse. I should be asking you how you swindled your way back to the land of the undead." His feathery hand fell on my shoulder. Fondness cloaked his gaze. "I am so glad to see you still standing." 

"You are not mad that my contract has been voided?" 

"Who am I going to be mad at other than that moronic entity that killed you." Stolas shrugged my question off like it was nothing. "If anything, I would like to offer you a similar contract." With a snap of my finger, a new piece of parchment unrolled before my eyes. I slowly grabbed the contract and read it over. 

"Astra, you don't have to do this. You don't need even a quarter of the power you used to have to rule. We could think of a different idea that allows you to keep your soul," Carmilla added as her hand fell to the one that held the paper. A small smile crossed my face as I stared at her. 

"I appreciate you, my love," I whispered softly to her. "But this contract allows my soul to be intact." 

"It's not?" Carmilla blinked her confusion. 

"No," Stolas agreed. "Instead of her soul, Astra will be by my side by pure loyalty. As long as we are both benefitting from helping each other, Astra can keep the book of secrets and use the powers that I bestowed upon her initially. If she were to ever go to heaven, or if I have no use for her, the contract is voided." I could barely believe my ears. 

"And it is a contract that I will gladly agree to Stolas," I stated boldly. Stolas encompassed my hand in his. Bright blue chains wrapped around our hands and sealed the deal. A brilliant grin cracked across my face. "It is always a pleasure doing business with you, Stolas." The owl nodded. "Did you still need me to take care of Valentino?" 

"That will not be necessary," he said happily. "My Blitzy took care of it! After you weakened him, he was like my little imps punching bag! He enjoys this much more than what I had originally intended." He giggled at a memory only he knew. "I have nothing you need to do for me at the moment. Enjoy the book, Astra. I hope you will be able to bring the library up and running within the week. I want to enjoy a book sometime soon with Octavia! We have been trying to do more bonding time since I divorced that soul-sucking bitch." 

"Glad to see things have worked out," I exclaimed. "I guess I will be seeing you soon, Stolas." 

"Stay alive, Astra," Stolas responded with. "I would hate to worry so much over a human soul." With that, Stolas walked through his carefully curated portal. Carmilla and I were left to our own devices. I cracked my fingers and glanced around at all the angel carcasses that littered on the meadow. 

"Well, this won't do," I tsked. "I guess we start with the corpses?" 

"Oh, allow me!" Rosie chimed as she waved her way over. Velvet twirled by the other's side in glee. "I wanted to bring home some leftovers! Give some to the butcher so he can sell it to my people. I know they are going to be craving this for weeks to come." A smirk mirrored on Carmilla's and I's face.