Chapter 3 (Pt. 3)

Meng Yuan backed up into the house and watched as Wan Xue closed the door behind them once more. The pack ended up on the table this time, instead of on the floor, but Wan Xue didn't open it, merely studying the emperor for a moment. Meng Yuan was not wearing anything aside from a thin shirt and a pair of loose fitting pants that he undoubtedly would have normally worn underneath his outer clothes. It wasn't necessarily an outfit that would seem out of place, since this was what many of the common people wore on a regular basis, Wan Xue included. But this particular outfit was stained with blood.

After a moment's hesitation, Wan took off his outer robe with a sigh, so that he was now dressed similarly to Meng Yuan. Regretfully, he held it out to Meng Yuan instead. He'd saved for a long time to be able to buy it last fall in preparation for winter, and not only was it the only one he currently owned, but it was also the only one he'd ever owned.

"You want me to wear it?"

Wan Xue raised an eyebrow. What else would I want you to do with it? Carry it? Throw it in the garbage? Do you think I wanted to travel like this, without it?

His expression conveyed enough that Meng Yuan hurriedly began clothing himself. The fabric was still warm from Wan Xue's body, and it wasn't until that moment that Meng Yuan realized how cold he'd been up until now. The quality of this new article of clothing wasn't as fine as what he was already wearing, but it was warmer all the same, and he was grateful for that.

"Thank you," he said, looking up from his perusal of the clothes he'd just put on.

Wan Xue was watching him with an unreadable expression, already holding out another item and waiting on him. When Meng Yuan didn't move to accept it, he stepped forward and pulled the collar of the robe closer together as best he could, given its size, and reached up past that afterwards. None too gently, he pushed the hat down on Meng Yuan's head, far enough in the front that the top half of his face was hidden.

"Uhh...I can't see anything now." Despite him having said this, Wan Xue was close enough still after just letting go of the hat, that Meng Yuan was able to look down and meet his gaze. However, anything in front of him was lost from sight. It wasn't as it was meant to be worn, since it was meant to keep out the sun while he worked, not obstruct his vision, but in this case, this seemed like the best way to do things.

Well, that's just too bad, isn't it? Wan Xue walked away, slung his pack over his shoulder, and left the house.

The street was deserted still. Even so, they'd need to stick to lesser known streets and alleys, but Wan Xue knew enough of them that it wasn't too worrisome. Well, it was still worrisome. He didn't want to think about what might happen if he was caught trying to smuggle the emperor out of the city after being sold as a slave earlier in the day. Reaching in his pocket, he touched the paper there. Would it really be enough to get them out of the capital? What if one of the gate guards recognized the emperor? Surely not all of the men in the army had seen the emperor up close, right?

Still scanning the street to make sure they were alone, Wan Xue paused just outside the door, and Meng Yuan abruptly ran into him from behind with a grunt. The impact nearly sent him off balance – just how fast had he been walking? – until two hands grabbed him by the shoulders and kept him steady.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Meng Yuan exclaimed. "I told you, I can't see anything."

You can still watch your own feet, can't you? Wan Xue shook off his hands, irritated, and turned around.

"I didn't –"

Wan Xue held a finger to his own lips and stood close enough that Meng Yuan could see his face. Did he want to be caught by the guards?