five

-Chapter five-
"The quarry"

Alexandria biked alone a little later then when everyone was going to meet up. Her bike bumping up and down on the rocks and sticks in the forest as she tries her best to push through.

When she reached the ledge of the quarry she heard distant shouts and laughter. She placed her bike down carefully and quietly walked to the edge while stripping off her tanktop and shorts.

She saw Beverly on Bill's shoulders and Richie and Ben's. She watched for a moment with a smile on her face at her group of friends until Eddie pointed up at her.

"Alex?!" He screamed with a smile and a huge wave. Everyone looked in Alexandria's direction and Beverly took that opportunity to push Richie off Ben.

"That's not fair!" Richie yelled coming up from the water for air before turning to Alexandria, "Jump in!"

Alexandria looked down at the water and a knot of fear formed in her stomach. "It's not as bad as it looks!" Beverly shouted, as Bill lowered her into the water.

Alexandria looked at the group, then the water, then took a couple steps back. At first, the group thought she chickened out, but then she came running off of the cliff and fell into the water with a scream.

She came up for air and swam over to the group. "Where were you?" Stan asked, "I just slept in on accident." Alexandria shrugged.

It seemed Alexandria had missed some of the fun but Richie and Eddie were still hyper as Eddie attempted to drown Richie for whatever reason.

Stan, Richie, Alexandria, and Eddie were having splash fights and laughter erupted from the four while Bill, Beverly, and Ben just watched. Ben stole a few glances at Beverly and Beverly did the same to Bill.

"Ah, fuck! What was that?" Richie suddenly yelled. "Something just touched my foot right here." Stanley said looking down into the water. Everyone went underwater looking for what could've hurt Richie.

"Where are we looking?"

"Right here, right here!"

"It's a turtle."

Everyone got out of the water except Alexandria who decided to swim alone for awhile longer. She swam far out to places she couldn't touch and drifted on her back to be in her own thoughts.

She stayed like that for awhile, her eyes closed when she heard someone break water near her. She looked up, her hair slicked back from the water and Bill was treading water beside her.

"hey," Bill greeted with a small nod, "hi," Alexandria muttered awkwardly.

The two were silent for awhile before Bill spoke, "W-wh-why are you out here still? You s-sh-should come back over to the rocks with us."

"I don't feel like it right now." She shrugged but her heart was a bit touched that he came out in the water to try and get her to come out with the reat of the group.

"Is something w-wr-wrong?" Bill inquired.

"What? No. Why would anything be wrong? Why do you think something is wrong?" She rambled and defensively asked questions.

"I was just wondering b-b-because you stormed off the other d-day and now you're not talking to a-a-anyone." He retorted.

Alexandria looked at the water that was slightly touching her chin as she bobbed up and from the small waves they were creating.

"I had to go yesterday and today I just feel like being in the water longer." She spoke more calmly then she did when he accused her of something being wrong.