Darkness before Dawn

Saim Ayub gripped the edge of his seat as the bus rumbled along the winding roads from Sydney to Melbourne. It was his debut tour with the Pakistan cricket team, a dream come true for the young batsman. Yet, despite his excitement, a nervous energy pulsed through him, making it difficult to relax.

Saim sat alone near the back of the bus, lost in his thoughts. The weight of expectations pressed down on him, and he couldn't shake the feeling of unease. As fatigue crept in, he leaned his head against the window, closing his eyes in an attempt to find solace in sleep.

But sleep did not bring relief. Instead, it dragged him into a nightmare he couldn't escape. In his dream, he was back home, playing in the yard with his younger sister, laughter filling the air. Everything seemed perfect until a sudden screech shattered the tranquility. A truck barreled towards them, and before he could react, it struck his sister with a sickening thud.

Saim jolted awake, gasping for air as if he'd been submerged underwater. His heart hammered against his chest, and sweat coated his brow. Panic seized him, gripping him in its icy claws.

As Saim struggled to regain his composure, the concerned murmurs of his teammates filled the air, each voice a distant echo in the cacophony of his racing thoughts. Their faces blurred together, their expressions a blur of worry and confusion, as they crowded around him in a suffocating embrace of concern.

His heart hammered against his ribcage, threatening to burst forth and escape the confines of his chest. Each breath felt like a struggle, as if the very air around him had turned to molasses, thick and suffocating, refusing to fill his lungs with the oxygen he so desperately craved.

Saim's vision swam, his senses overwhelmed by the sudden onslaught of attention and the memories that still lingered like a dark cloud in the recesses of his mind. His eyes stung with unshed tears, his throat constricted with the weight of unspoken words, and he felt as though he were drowning in a sea of his own turmoil.

In that moment, Saim was no longer present in the bus hurtling towards Melbourne. He was adrift in a tempest of emotions, lost in the labyrinth of his own fears and insecurities, unable to find his way back to the surface.

As the world spun around him, Saim longed for nothing more than the solace of solitude, the sanctuary of silence, where he could confront the demons that haunted him without the prying eyes of others.

Babar's actions spoke volumes of his leadership and compassion. With a firm yet gentle tone, he directed the other team members to give Saim space, understanding the overwhelming nature of the situation. The bus came to a halt, and as the players dispersed to their seats, they respected Babar's request, avoiding any unnecessary glances in Saim's direction.

Approaching Saim with a quiet grace, Babar settled beside him, a reassuring presence in the midst of Saim's turmoil. Without a word, he reached out and intertwined their fingers, a silent gesture of solidarity and support. Saim, who typically found solace in solitude during his nightmares, felt an unexpected comfort wash over him at Babar's touch.

Leaning into Babar's warmth, Saim rested his head on Babar's shoulder, seeking refuge in the safety of his captain's embrace. With gentle strokes, Babar traced soothing circles on the back of Saim's palm, his touch a balm to the storm raging within him.

With Saim's breathing gradually returning to normal and his heart rate steadying, Babar subtly signaled to Shadab to instruct the driver to resume the journey. As the bus engine roared back to life, a sense of calm descended upon the once turbulent atmosphere.

Though Saim's physical symptoms subsided, his eyes still betrayed the emotional storm brewing within him, tears glistening in the dim light of the bus. Sensing his teammate's lingering distress, Babar tenderly guided Saim's head to his lap, offering a soothing anchor amidst the chaos.

With gentle strokes, Babar brushed Saim's hair with his fingers, each touch a whisper of comfort and understanding. The rhythmic motion lulled Saim into a peaceful slumber, his troubled mind finding respite in the safety of Babar's embrace.

Throughout the journey to Melbourne, Saim slept soundly, cradled in the warmth of Babar's lap, his breathing steady and his heart at ease.

As the bus pulled into the hotel's driveway, Babar gently roused Saim from his peaceful slumber, his touch soft against Saim's cheek. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, Saim's eyes felt heavy, his heart still weighed down by the lingering emotions from his nightmare. A brief moment of confusion washed over him as he registered the unfamiliar sensation of waking up in Babar's lap, their proximity a stark contrast to their usual interactions.

Shaking off the remnants of his dream, Saim pushed himself upright, the memory of the nightmare still fresh in his mind. A shiver ran down his spine, but he quickly brushed it aside, unwilling to dwell on the darkness that threatened to engulf him.

As Saim stumbled slightly, Babar steadied him with a firm grip on his hand, guiding him off the bus with a reassuring presence. Babar retrieved their luggage, effortlessly shouldering the burden as he led Saim towards the hotel entrance.

Navigating the labyrinthine corridors of the hotel, Babar finally reached Saim's room, setting down his luggage with a gentle thud. Saim offered a warm, albeit tired, thank you before Babar bid him goodnight, retreating to his own room with a silent promise to check on him later.

Babar retreated to the solace of his room, the weight of the day pressing heavily on his shoulders. As he lay down, memories flooded his mind like a relentless tide. In the quiet of his thoughts, he found himself transported back to the days of his childhood, where his closest friend, Imam, grappled with haunting nightmares.

One particular memory loomed large in Babar's mind. It was the day Imam, consumed by a night terror, found himself alone in the eerie stillness of his home. Lost in the grip of panic, Imam's senses dulled, and anxiety clenched at his chest like a vice. Desperate for respite, he stumbled into the kitchen, his mind a whirlwind of fear and confusion.

In a moment of sheer desperation, Imam's trembling hand found its way to a sharp blade. Babar's heart clenched as he recalled the chilling image of his friend, lost in the grip of his own torment, succumbing to the darkness that threatened to consume him. The image of Imam, his once vibrant spirit shattered, haunted Babar's thoughts, etching itself into the fabric of his being.

With a heavy heart, Babar closed his eyes, willing the tears that threatened to spill over to remain unseen. The weight of sorrow bore down on him, a silent testament to the pain of loss and the cruel twists of fate that left scars too deep to heal. And as a single tear traced its path down his cheek, Babar whispered a silent prayer for his dear friend, forever lost to the shadows of the past.

Babar's mind drifted back to the events of the day. Saim was breathing heavily, his eyes rolling back uncontrollably, his hands clutching the leather seats of the bus. Tears streamed down his face, a picture of desperation and pain. Babar squeezed his eyes shut, as if trying to erase the scene from his mind. He couldn't let panic attacks and nightmares consume Saim, not after what happened to Imam. With determination, Babar vowed to himself to protect Saim from the same fate and closed his eyes once more.

As Babar nestled into his bed, the day's weariness weighing heavily on his eyelids, he tried every possible position to find comfort. Yet, despite closing his eyes and willing himself into relaxation, his mind stubbornly gravitated back to thoughts of Saim and Imam.

Restlessness gripped him, prompting him to sit up abruptly as Imam's image flashed vividly in his mind. Fumbling in the dim light, Babar reached for his phone, a beacon of distraction in the silent night. With a hopeful heart, he unlocked it, his anticipation tinged with the faint possibility of a message from Kane.

But reality struck him swiftly — Kane was en route to Sri Lanka for a test tour, miles away from Babar's immediate reach. Disappointed yet understanding, Babar sighed, his fingers instinctively navigating to Instagram in search of solace.

As he scrolled through reels, fatigue gradually crept upon him, casting a hazy veil over his consciousness. With each swipe, the weight of the day began to lift, replaced by the gentle pull of slumber.

Eventually, his eyelids grew heavy, the glow of his phone dimming with each passing moment. Surrendering to the inevitable embrace of sleep, Babar drifted into the realm of dreams, leaving behind the worries and uncertainties that had plagued his restless mind just moments before.