Chapter 5- Man and Dog

The site was swiftly cleaned up as the rest of the ultranationalists were flushed out of the area. With their leader fallen, the terrorists had become unorganized, some demoralized entirely, providing easy pickings for the ACG. Once the palace had been cleared, Rocky made the call for another airship to pick them, the only word he had spoken since Kolechi fell. The others were puzzled at his silence, also taken aback by the sheer anger emitting from Chase's fur. The shepherd wouldn't answer a single question floating his way, forcing Strap to take the initiative in clearing out the vermin. They were picked up within after a few hours, the soldiers collecting into the vehicle and setting off for home, the ultranationalists declared a threat no more.

Everyone went their own ways upon returned to the warship, Chase and Rocky were about to hit their barracks when they were stopped in the hallway by a white retriever.

"You two," Bella cornered them, holding a cross expression. "Follow me."

Rocky hesitated slightly but uttered his response emotionlessly. "Yes, general." Chase however, merely grunted, his ears still flattened with silent anger. Not responding to a superior was a severe mistake for any soldier to make, but oddly, Bella didn't call him out for it. She merely made sure they were following and led them away, taking them deep into the ship.

"Is this about Kolechi?" Rocky asked her. "I know the employer wanted him captured, but we didn't kill him-"

"Not about him." Bella said flatly, her eyes narrowed forward.

Tilting his head puzzled, Rocky flashed a look toward his brother, who was still trudging along with his glaring eyes. He was nervous even speaking up to Chase, the sight of him alone sparking a level of ferocity that made even him quiver. Not like he'd ever tell him that, though.

The general pulled open the door to the mission briefing, gesturing with her head. "In." She let the soldiers enter the room nervously, before entering herself. The room was completely empty, usually filled with whatever squad was being briefed for the next mission. Chase and Rocky walked to the center, both watching the general with shared confusion.

"We need to have a chat." Bella walked in, locking the door behind her. "I read your mission report."

Rocky nodded, unsure of where this was going.

"I couldn't care less about Kolechi." She said dismissively, approaching them. "He's dead, I know, but we have bigger issues now. I explicitly remember what you told me about Ryder."

Chase bristled at the name, boiling under his fur. His brother was expressive, although his claws briefly flexed on the floor. "We belong to the ACG now," Rocky said, cooling his tongue. "He means nothing to either of us."

"Are you sure about that?" Bella raised an eyebrow, pointing her paw at Chase's demeanor. "Looks like he does."

The shepherd growled through his teeth. "I'm... angry."

"I have eyes, soldier." Quipped the general. "This is what concerns me. You both already have a history of getting too attached to your squad mates, it's caused problems before, and it still is now." She hissed, staring both of them down. "I need to know right now; can I trust you both to be mentally stable enough to deal with this?"

Chase answered before his captain could. "Yes... I'll just, need a bit to-"

"You have no time, Chase!" Bella said, her patience thinning.

"Well maybe I need it!" The shepherd argued. "That bastard left us all to be bioweapon food, do you even realize what he-"

Bella suddenly lunged forward, baring her teeth at him. "I was there Chase, did you forget!?" She snapped. "I was literally a part of the fucking squad that rescued you! You think I didn't see any of that?! I was in the burning forest, I watched Feroxmalis tear apart dogs that I knew for years. My closest friends, gone! Don't think you're the only one that's lost something!" She barked in his face, challenging his already angered demeanor. Rocky was terrified a fight was about to break out.